Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Best Half Stack (For a metal tone) for the money?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best Half Stack (For a metal tone) for the money?

Solid State or Tube, I don't really care. What would you say is the best metal half stack for the money?

Re: Best Half Stack (For a metal tone) for the money?

Tube...no question...(IMO)
    Peavey's 5150 amps are great for the money...as is the Marshall DSL and TSL series (money-wise)

But that's always a suject for debate, and it's always based on personal opinion anyway.

Comment

Re: Best Half Stack (For a metal tone) for the mon

I think for the money a used 5150 is the way to go. To my ear they sound really good, and I know a LOT of guys who swear by them for metal. I haven't managed to dial one in right for "my" sound yet, but I do like what I've heard. A lot of guys on this board will tell you good stuff about them too.

Other than that, I'd say mabye get an older metal preamp, like an ADA MP-1 or a Digitech 2112 for a good price and get a decent power amp, and go from there. Then you can upgrade piece by piece, and spend the rest of your life and money with the search for tone like the rest of us(Cleve).

Comment

A used 5150.

You can go even cheaper. Get a Korg HyperDistortion and plug that directly into a Carvin poweramp and a generic 4x12 cabinet. Ampeg 4x12 guitar cabs, for example, often sell for $150-$200 at our local consignment shop. The Korg will give you two programmable Distorted channels, and a bypass. Clean might suck, but it would work good just for a decent sounding, loud, metal tone for under $400. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
        The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

a 5150 half stack ...with matching shefield cab and BBE 422 in the loop ...instant coolness you can't touch for the money..

Do NOT touch a Marshall DSL ...they are poop. I had one ...well I bought it dirt cheap and it sucked total ass...there was NO saving it ...it was pure thin , fuzzy mush...
          "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
          Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Here are my suggestions for a metal half stack that needs no outboard processing:
            Peavey 5150
            Crate BV120
            Carvin MTS3200
            Randall RG100ES
            Line 6 Flextone HD
            Peavey Supreme
            Laney AOR50 or 100
            Marshall 8100 Valvestate (VS100)
            Power amp and a POD XT or Boss GT-6 or a Korg AX1500G

There are a ton of choices.

Comment

5150 used.

Comment

5150 II
                Marshall 8100
                If you can get one cheap, the TSL100 it's not great, but passable, mine didn't sound thin, just didn't do it for me.
                NOTHING crate
                the power amp and pre amp is good too for ideas.

Comment

Deneb, I have had several Crate amps and I think they get a bad rap.
                  The amps I have had that I thought were nice were:
                  VC508 nice little low wattage class a amp
                  VC30 Nice little blues all tube class a amp
                  C-60XL 2 celestion 8" speakers, 60 watts and really nice distortion. It was a great practice amp for me for many years. It was even endorsed by Malmsteen. lol...
                  CA-60D This is an acoustic amp with the tweeter and DSP effects. You can plug a mike in because it is 2 channels. I still have it and it is outstanding for 1 man band coffee house gigs or acoustic jam sessions. It even looks nice.
                  The Blue Voodoo (BV60, BV120) heads are pretty nice bro. They get a really nice distortion (although the Flexwave circuitry does limit the voicing when you change tubes) and the clean is really nice too.
                  FYI... Crate's proprietary Flexwave circuitry has a unique voice. It is so popular that many of the major modeling companies actually have models based on that circuit and the tone it produces. It sounds like a buzzsaw to me. Like a cross between a Soldano and stock Marshall but with more midrange and less bottom. The problem with the solid state Crate amps with this circuit is that the tone doesn't get better as it get louder. I think the Blue Voodoo's solved this problem with thier all tube high wattage design.

Comment

FENDER ROC PRO
                    Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                      FENDER ROC PRO

[/ QUOTE ]
                      I am a big fan of the Roc Pro 1000 too but you really need a pedal with it to do metal. It has nice gain and distortion but it just needs a little nudge more for metal IMHO.

Comment

To add to this as I may need more than a practice amp if I ever get a band together...If I already had a PODxt to use as a preamp, what would be a decent poweramp to use with it?

Comment

peavey classic 50/50. or if you want to go crazy, classic 120!! they're cheap (compared to all the ones people around here buy) and they sound pretty good.
                          GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

Atomic Amps has an intruguing idea for POD people...it's a tube power amp and speaker with a little groove that you set the POD into, plug it in and fire away.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                              [ QUOTE ]
                              FENDER ROC PRO

[/ QUOTE ]
                              I am a big fan of the Roc Pro 1000 too but you really need a pedal with it to do metal. It has nice gain and distortion but it just needs a little nudge more for metal IMHO.

[/ QUOTE ]

A side note on the ROC PRO....when I (opened) worked at the GC in East Brunswick NJ...and we had Yngwie perform...he played, un-processed) thru a pair of ROC PRO halfstacks...and they sounded just like his modded Marshalls!...if not BETTER!....I stood staring at them in awe and amazement for an hour after he got done playing. I asked him when we were out back smoking....what he thought of the amps. He said "They come pretty damn close to the tone I like to hear....I like them" (quote)

Comment

Working...
                              X