Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Best Half Stack (For a metal tone) for the money?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Best Half Stack (For a metal tone) for the mon

5150 or randall RG100 especially for the $. the randalls you can get for like $200-300. never heard the rocpro. how are the ampeg lee jacksons, & the yamaha soldano designed amps? i see them around pretty cheap but have never tried one?

Comment

A used PV 5150 is near impossible to beat for the $$$. The Marshall DSL 100/50 is also a good choice as well.

Comment

Jg, I don't want to hear anything from you, until you retube that Marshall, You won't want anything else! It's awesome! (In ref to a JCM800 2210).

Be forwarned, IT'S LOUD.

There was a crate I liked, but it just had so much distotion and the head was really tiny, really wierd, and I wouldn't gig out with it, it would just make a neat toy.

Comment

I heard from another person that Yngwie used the Roc Pro at clinics too. Cool.

Comment

Oh, if my post looked rude, it wasn't, it was just saying in excitement [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Is the Roc Pro stuff the same as those Rockman processor things? I remember my uncle having one of those with the big speaker and little one in a 4x12 size cab, and it sounded okay.

Comment

b-52's LG-100A & lg412v from what i've seen and heard. [img]/images/graemlins/drool2.gif[/img]
              Guitars... Rhoads RX10D
              Amp... Pioneer
              Effects... Boss ME-20

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                Oh, if my post looked rude, it wasn't, it was just saying in excitement [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]Is the Roc Pro stuff the same as those Rockman processor things? I remember my uncle having one of those with the big speaker and little one in a 4x12 size cab, and it sounded okay.

[/ QUOTE ]No, the Roc Pro was Fender's answer to the Marshall VS100Valvestate head and VS100 combo. 3 channels, 1 12AX7 for tube warmth. I liked the Roc Pro a little better than the VS100 and it was about $100 cheaper at GC. I boughtone but took it back, as the crunch channel was louder than the lead channel, which reduced the point of having 3 channels to me. I already had a 2-channel amp I liked so why have one where the highest drive channel couldn't cut through for solos? I'm sure I could've worked with that had I really wanted to, but why bother since I didn't have to? But you can get 'em used for $200 or so, and they're pretty nice for that money.
                Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

Did you try using the lead channel for rhythm and the crunch channel for solos? Sounds counter-intuitive, I know. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

5150/5150II

Comment

The crunch channel didn't have enough gain, the lead channel was too muddy for a good crunch rhythm, and if I'm going to stick my SD-1 in front of it I may as well keep my 2-channel amp I'm already doing that with. I basically just had a GC creditcard burning a hole in my pocket when I took it home, and 24 hours was enough to decide I didn't want to keep it. If I didn't already have 2 identical 100-watt 2-channel tube heads that I liked, I probably would have kept it. For $369 brand new it wasn't bad, but I bought it only for the 3rd channel, and when realized the SD-1 worked better with my 2-channel amps, well why would I keep it when I had a head and a spare already? So for a guy with no amp, for $200 used it'd sound pretty damn good, but I'd get an SD-1 or Tube Screamer to hit the front end
                      if that's what I was gonna use.
                      Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                        [ QUOTE ]
                        FENDER ROC PRO

[/ QUOTE ]
                        I am a big fan of the Roc Pro 1000 too but you really need a pedal with it to do metal. It has nice gain and distortion but it just needs a little nudge more for metal IMHO.

[/ QUOTE ]
                        I've got a Roc Pro 1000 head and I agree about it needing an OD pedal for just a little more gain... for the most part. When using a guitar with higher gain pickups like EMGs, I don't seem to need a pedal. I usually play it through either a 1x12 or 4x12 Crate cab. It doesn't beat my Mesa F-30, but it's damn good!
                        I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                          b-52's LG-100A & lg412v from what i've seen and heard. [img]/images/graemlins/drool2.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

I played the b-52, alot of distortion, i am pretty sure they have to be doing diode clipping somewhere in the path! It is all tube though and cheap, here in USA it is $699 new for the head, the head sounded alot better through a V30 cab though. If you ask me the B-52 has alot of charistics of a heavey distortion Crate Amp but warmed up by tube! For metal there are so many good choices, i love my mesa Dual Rec but that sound is so over played! My roadking head is awesome but not as heavy, but i love being able to add the EL34's with the 6L6's. I also latley have been playing alot through my ADA MP-1 going into a mesa 20/20. My DSL100 is ok, but i am getting a triple X in soon and if i like it i will be selling the DSL! For Rock i use my marshall 6100 (my favorite Amp) I also own the 5150 but that sounds i starting to get outplayed now too!

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                            [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I played the b-52, alot of distortion, i am pretty sure they have to be doing diode clipping somewhere in the path! It is all tube though and cheap, here in USA it is $699 new for the head, the head sounded alot better through a V30 cab though. If you ask me the B-52 has alot of charistics of a heavey distortion Crate Amp but warmed up by tube! For metal there are so many good choices, i love my mesa Dual Rec but that sound is so over played! My roadking head is awesome but not as heavy, but i love being able to add the EL34's with the 6L6's. I also latley have been playing alot through my ADA MP-1 going into a mesa 20/20. My DSL100 is ok, but i am getting a triple X in soon and if i like it i will be selling the DSL! For Rock i use my marshall 6100 (my favorite Amp) I also own the 5150 but that sounds i starting to get outplayed now too!

[/ QUOTE ]
                            so... do you like the lg100a [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img] thinking of purchasing one [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
                            Guitars... Rhoads RX10D
                            Amp... Pioneer
                            Effects... Boss ME-20

Comment

Engl 50 watt second hand. I used mine live again, like 5 hours ago with volume at 3 o'clock. The sound was a killer! I have a TSL 100 - this thing sucks sooooo much, compared to an Engl! Even my mother could tell the difference!

Comment

I just got a 5150 head and matching 4-12 slant for $575. I gotta tell you this is the best half stack for the money you can get. With a BBE and an eq the 5150sounds great clean but shines with crushing gain. Kills my Laney Gh 100 head easily.

Comment

Working...
                                X