How to set up a behringer FCB1010 w/Vetta or other

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to set up a behringer FCB1010 w/Vetta or other

Not sure if any of you guys have FCB1010s, but I do. I wasn't about to lay out $399 street for the big Line 6 floorboard, but I couldn't get the FCB to work right. So... I figured it out tonight. Looked around on the net, and while there were some hints here and there, I didn't find a 'step by step' primer. Here's mine, hope it helps someone. BTW, I'm not a technical writer, so forgive my prose and I hope it makes sense. I set mine up for 1-5 to control channels on the Vetta, and 6 for stomp 1, 7 for stomp 2, 8 for fx loop (boost!), 9 delay, 10 tap tempo. When you use a wah with the FCB, if you reselect the patch, it turns the wah off. I'd rather have an extra patch than a wah on/off switch, but I could set 5 for that if I wanted. Without further ado...

Pete's guide to programming a FCB1010 for a Vetta

Ok, first off, you can adapt this to other midi controllable devices. Here's what I did for my Vetta - your mileage may vary. This is how to set up a FCB1010, and probably isn't the easiest way, but hell, it worked for me. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

First, I selected a bank to play with. I started with 00, because hey, it's first. Then I held down the 'down' footswitch, and waited a few seconds for the preset configuration green LED to come up. then I hit the 'up' button.

Each light that is solid is something that patch is controlling. Stock I believe you will have 1, 8 and 9 solid.
    Press the '8' once so it blinks.
    Now press the up button.
    The number you enter here is the continuous controller ID. On a Vetta, 07 is volume. so change it to 07 (you can press the 0 and then 7 buttons) and then hit up again.
    This is the low range - if it's 00, then it's zero on the parameter. This would be like a volume pedal all the way down. If you wanted a minimum volume, enter it here... the range of the pedal is 127, so if you entered 60 here, then when the pedal was all the way back, you'd have roughly 1/2 volume. I entered 00, since I wanted it to act like a real volume pedal.
    Hit up again. Now this is the high value, when the continuous controller is all the way up. 127 is maximum volume. You can also enter this value using the controller itself - just floor it, and you'll get 127.
    Hit up again, and you're back to the 1, 8 and 9 lit up.
    Press 9 once. It will blink, and now we can set up the controller on the right.
    Press 'up' and now '04' to control the wah.
    Enter the low value, go up, then high value, and up.
    COOL TIP: If you set the high value lower than 127, you can take out some of the high end skritchiness that the vetta wah has. I've been playing with around 100 or so.
    Press up, and you're back to 1,8,9 lit.
    Press '1' and you can pick which patch will be called up on the vetta. I'm lazy, so I left '1' alone, and just set up patches on my vetta to correspond with the footswitch. Patch 1 is 1A, 2 is 1B, 3 is 1C, etc, all the way up.
    When you're done setting up your patch, press the 'down' key and hold it for a few seconds until the footswitch goes back to normal. It's saved now.

Ok, so how do you set up the footswitch to control different functions like stomp boxes, or tap tempo, or whatever? It's a little tricky, but not too bad.

First, select which button you want to use. I set up my controller so that the bottom row changes patches on the vetta, so the upper row is used for turning things off and on within the patch. Let's use 6.

Click on the 6, and hold the down button until you get the green LED.
    Now press up. This takes you to the 1,8 and 9 footswitches glowing red.
    Hold the 6 down until it glows red steadily.
    Now click it once, and it will blink.
    Press 'up' and enter the # of the thing you want to control from the vetta. Let's set it to turn on stompbox 1 - so enter 25.
    Now enter an 'on' state, which is any number from 0-63. I usually just set it to 63.
    Now click up, and you'll have 1, 6, and 8 and 9 solid.
    Hold 7 down, until it lights steadily.
    Now click it once, and it will blink.
    Click 'up'. Enter 25, and now enter an 'off' state - 64-127 will work, I use 64.
    Click Up, and now you should have 1, 6,7,8 and 9 lit.
    Now, hold the '1' button down, until it goes off. Why did we do this? 1 controls the patch change on the vetta - by turning if off, we stay on the same vetta patch while we're turning the stompbox 1 on and off.
    Now hold the 'down' button down, until the footswitch goes back to it's normal state. Click the 6, and stompbox 1 should turn on the Vetta. Click 6 again, and it will go off. Even though we set 6 and 7 on the controller, it's all being run from footswitch 6. This is kinda hard to grasp, but trust me, it works. Also, you'll have to set up the volume and wah like you did for the previous example on 6, otherwise when you click 6, it will turn them off. You haven't changed amp channels/patches, but you HAVE changed settings on the pedal.

This seems like a lot of work, but it's great, since you can customize the heck out of your footswitch. Would you rather set up a footswitch to turn reverb off? You can do that. Or the doubletracker, or gate, or whatever. A good list of functions you can control with the footswitch and the controller #s are here: http://vettaville.com/vetta2midi.htm

Hope this helps some of you guys. By the way, to set tap tempo, you only have to set ONE of the controllers - don't turn it off and on, just turn it on. It works great, and that feature alone nearly had me ready to buy one of the Line 6 boards. Being able to tap in delay times with the songs makes me want to use delay a lot more, plus I can match the drummer easily and not worry about him playing the song at correct tempo each time.

If you have the continuous controller #s, one can set up their FCB to run a Pod, or dang near any midi compatible processor or modelling amp. Just follow the instructions above, and change the info to match your amp - the meat of the info is for setting the FOOTSWITCH, not the amp.

Pete

Re: How to set up a behringer FCB1010 w/Vetta or other

Join the Yahoo FCB group:
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/fcb1010/

There's a downloadable PC editor that will make your life easier:
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/fcb101...tware%20Tools/

Comment

Re: How to set up a behringer FCB1010 w/Vetta or o

That should be a big help when I buy one in a few weeks for the Boss Se-70 I have coming in the mail.

Comment

I saw that group, wasn't really a whole lot of 'hand holding' going on. I thought I could figure it out myself. It was a pain, but worth it.

Pete

[ QUOTE ]
        Join the Yahoo FCB group:
        http://groups.yahoo.com/group/fcb1010/

There's a downloadable PC editor that will make your life easier:
        http://groups.yahoo.com/group/fcb101...tware%20Tools/

[/ QUOTE ]

Comment

Oh yeah the ol fcb1010...Ahhh memories....Of me kneeling over it on the floor screaming...F&%king piece of sh%t! I'm smash this f%$king thing and send it back to Germany! Manuals in every langage lay all around. Me screaming out the instructions step by step as if I might scare the thing into working.

Yeah, I sold it. And I was just trying to get the fugger to work with the Behringer virtualizer. You would think, plug n play...But nooooo!

So hats off to you, your patience and your persistence Pete! [img]/images/graemlins/notworthy.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

I think I'll go build a amp now... [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]
          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-6M4lm9Ahz0

Comment

The PC software will make programming the FCB a breeze. I found most of the members of the group to be very helpful.

Comment

That's cool, I just kinda gutted it out - I hate not being able to figure something out for myself. I was going to use asking questions there as a last resort - and I didn't. Hooray for me. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Pete

[ QUOTE ]
              The PC software will make programming the FCB a breeze. I found most of the members of the group to be very helpful.

[/ QUOTE ]

Comment

Working...
              X