Stupid 4-track/8-track recorder question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stupid 4-track/8-track recorder question

On the little portable multi-track recording systems, can you only listen through headphones or are there built-in speakers or some way to hook up to an external speaker? I've never used one before and am thinking of picking something up soon to mess around with.
    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Re: Stupid 4-track/8-track recorder question

Don't bother. Use your PC with free software or go with a hard disc.

Comment

Your 4 track will have monitor out jacks..or it should...

Comment

Thanks.

Comment

I agree with doing the PC thing.

stand alone units will have outputs that can be fed to a tape deck, power amp and speakers, headphones etc..

The box that your using to view this forum has way more hoirsepower than a four tracker and you can get 32 digital tracks for next to noting.
          shawnlutz.com

Comment

Yeah but try toting your home PC to a buddy's house to record some jams because he doesn't have a PC that's capable of recording [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Get the 4/8-track - they're cheap enough. If you get a cassette unit, make sure you don't use tapes that are longer than 60 minutes. 90 minute tapes and above are thinner, and can snap. They also can't take as much fluctuations in Gain when recording without fluttering.

And yes they have RCA outs for external speaker/amp connections, which means you can run them into your stereo.
            You can also find speakers that are made to plug into a headphone jack without melting the headphone circuit (Wal-Mart, Radio Shack, etc).

Newc
            I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

A headphone jack is pretty much a stereo 1/8" line out with a VU knob. With the right stuff, and it ain't expensive, you can pump whatever you hear on headphones into just about anything that records.

Comment

I record on my PC, but also on a Fostex VF16 digital multitracker. It records 8 tracks at once, and holds 16 tracks, with each having it's own fader. It's portable, easy to use, and records on an IDE hard drive. You can get em for around $500 or so used - well worth it for recording live jams or band rehearsals. I just mix it at the fostex and run it through headphone outs to my PC to convert to mp3 for web or burn CDs. Here's a few samples of things I recorded with mine:

http://members.cox.net/musicfiles/cryinweb.mp3
                http://members.cox.net/musicfiles/fortheloveofgod.mp3
                http://members.cox.net/vht50/beck.mp3

Pete

Comment

Cool. Thanks, guys! I think I've got something to add to my Christmas list. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                  X