50 CL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 50 CL

Alright guys...what do I need to know about the VHT 50CL...'cos one's coming my way.

Re: 50 CL

I think Shawn has a head version of it.
    He should come here to talk about it for sure...
    [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

The one coming to me is a head and has the EQ. The funny thing...I'm getting it from the guy I sold my Ultra Lead to...what dumbasses we are with our gear..just ask my wife....my tolerant wife. Are you talking about Shawn Lutz....I think he has an XTC also...we will have twin rigs...XTC, VHT, and Jacksons.... Oh and Dinky....I want to move where you live someday when I grow up [img]/images/graemlins/notworthy.gif[/img]

Comment

Yea, the same Shawn we are talking about.
        His VHT also has Graphic EQs too and here is a picture of his amp collection.

Comment

not exactly twins....but I'm half way there

Comment

The only thing I can tell ya is to use you ears [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] I really like the tone of the amp, it is still pretty new to me so I haven't found anything that I don't like about other than the weak ass reverb mine as. I haven't tried to replace the tank yet though.

Although its a 2 channel amp it doesn't do clean, really two lead channels which are voiced a lot a like. The EQ is a must for me and I leave it on all the time unless I'm trying to coax a semi-sorta clean out of it. Mine is a 96 model with a EL34 or 6L6 option but I have EL34's in there. You can select solid state or tube rectifier as well as an A Class or A/B Class switch. It has a great effects loop.

It does great 80 rock/metal and to me somewhat modern metal tones. The amp just has mojo and a distinctive personality. I really like it and that's why it stays [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

I tried it with every cab that in the picture Toru posted and I liked the best with the Bogner cab even though the Soldano cab has the same V30's in it.

I put white chicken heads on mine as the black ones on a black faceplate were hard to see in the dark.

I think you had the UL so you may not find it to be all that for you but I'm not into overly gainy stuff and the CL with the EQ and Boost on (both are on all the time for me) it has plenty of gain for my type of music. The beauty of VHT stuff is it is an amp that is easy to sell if you find it doesn't give you anything you already have in other amps.

I have the manual and tube layout in PDF if you want me to email it to ya let me know.

here's mine

Congratulations on the CL score, I hope you like it
            [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]
            shawnlutz.com

Comment

Hey Shawn thanks for the info.

I did dig the UL however whenever I played I found myself drop tuning every time. That amp absolutely slayed for drop tune metal....which generally just aint my bag. I prefer traditional metal tones like...VH, my two favorite album/band tones are Metal Church and Accept....AWESOME tones...very organic and musical, Megadeth can have some really good tones like the ones listed but with just a bit more aggression....that's all me. I don't care about a clean...I don't care about reverb but if it's like the UL...the EQ is a must...it doubles the channel selection in my opinion. With the UL I always thought I would prefer EL34's so we'll see. I'm glad to hear you like it with the Bogner cab because that's what I'm pumping through right now..it's a slant4x12 w/ 2xV30 & 2x G12H30's. I'm waiting on a Bogner 4x12 straight loaded w/ CL80's to complete my Bogner full stack [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] I may get a manual so I'll lay low for now but I definately appreciate the help and may need to take you up on it.

Comment

Oh yeah...that's a fine rig you have there...it looks like a MK IV and either a JCM800 or a DSL.....I've had ALL those amps at one point, it's funny how we all mess with the same **** and have or have had similar rigs...to me the UL was a MK IV perfected.

Oh I see the inputs..must be a JCM800

Comment

congrats!

Comment

no prob Tooling. You'll problly like CL then if your into the classic metal tones.

Yup thats an 83 2203 with a Soldano Hot Mod and THD Yellow Jackets w/EL-84's. The Mesa is a DC-5 which is a great amp and the best bang for the buck right now imho.
                    shawnlutz.com

Comment

Goddamn!

How do you people afford all this stuff.
                      You took too much, man. Too much. Too much.

Comment

Working...
                      X