Diezel amps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Diezel amps

Who's heard one? I've heard good things about them, but I could buy 2 used SLO 100's with cash left over for that price. Shitt, I could buy a new SLO and a semi-decent guitar. Are they worth it? (I know amps are a matter of opinion) They do have lots of options. I just want some opinions if there are any.

Re: Diezel amps

I haven't played one but I have heard a bunch of clips and the VH4 seems like a killer amp. I do think $3000-4000 is insane for an amplifier but if it gives you the tone your looking for I guess its worth it. If you would asked me a year a so ago if I'd spend over $2k for a used amp I'd say no way, too many great used amps under $1000 i.e. 2203/2204, Boogie, VHT Pitbulls etc etc. But I did just that on a 101B without ever plugging into one first. Its a great amp, worth it...I still think so [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

A 4 channel amp seems like overkill and I think there is something to be said for simplicity of single ot 2 channel amps. Too ofter the intent of an amp is to have one amp do everything but it usually falls short in some shape or form. I'd rather have a couple different amps that are considered one trick ponys that do their trick great than one amp that does 4 things pretty good. If the VH4 does them great then I need to get one [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
    shawnlutz.com

Comment

If you're looking for a good 4 channel tube amp, I used to gig with an Egnater TOL100. Four channels, it is midi footswitchable, and has one of the best clean channels I've ever heard. Think of it as the poor man's Diezel... If I hadn't gone modelling (Vetta) I would still gig with the TOL. I just prefer the ease and greater variety of tones in the Vetta.

Pete

Comment

I've played Diezel's at NAMM. They're nice amps and Peter Diezel knows his ****. I didn't think it was worth 3-4k but I didn't get to crank it up and really experiment with them either. I've never read or heard of a negative Diezel review. Most of the complaints are that they're too expensive.

Comment

I own a Diezel Herbert and I definitely think it's worth it. Right now the 2 models Peter makes are the VH4 & VH4S (4 channel heads, the S is the stereo version) and the Herbert (3 channel head)- both of which are midi switchable. There will be a new model named "Einstein" available after NAMM. Einstein will have 2 channels (the 1st channel will have 3 modes), be available in both head & combo versions and will feature reverb.

The Herbert is the metal amp, so to speak of the Diezel family, but it can do much, much more. Actually I know 3 guys that have switched from the VH4 to the Herbert and they love it. As far as build quality, craftsmanship, and overall design go, Peter is a master. Every Diezel I've played is built like a tank from inside to out. Diezel amps have they're own sound, so you really can't compare them to anything else. They are not a clone or based on another previous design, which is also something you don't see everyday. As for owning 1 amp that does 4 things well vs. 4 different amps that each does 1 thing very well, try lugging all 4 of those amps around to gigs, setting them up & breaking them down each night. Not fun.

As far as price goes, remember that everything is relative. I know people that have sunk more than $100K into home recording studios, and they just play guitar for a hobby. And if you look at the cost of guitars like Gibson R9 Les Pauls ($4500+) or PRS Private Stocks ($10,000), Driskills, Thorns, etc. it doesn't seem as high. Plenty of people have criticized their price, but a Bogner XTC Classic sells new for $3800, and Bogner doesn't seem to have problem selling them. As for their tone, it works great for me and I wouldn't trade mine for any other high gain channel switcher on the market. I've owned/still own Marshalls, Bogners, VHTs, Mesas, Peaveys, and have played Engls, CAEs, Soldanos and as far as tone and versatiliy go, Diezels are the tops IMHO. Also regardless of anyones opinions, please go and play one yourself and draw your own conclusions as to their "worth". Tone is subjective and so is worth.

Comment

Working...
          X