Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Order of effects with power amp?

[ QUOTE ]
    Tell me, O Tim; from where hast thou gathered such information? [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

I hate to tell ya this but I TRIED it. I realize it's complicated. You do have to unplug things and plug them in elsewhere. Generally speaking, pedals suck ass after a guitar preamp. There are a number of reasons I'm sure, most don't have the headroom to be driven at the output level of a preamp or typical effects loop or they have too low of an output to be feeding the next thing in line whether it's your effects return or other outboard gear in line to a power amp.

Another good data point here is this VHT GP3 I just got. It has an effects loop designed specifically for pedals. It is a -20db loop which is good for pedals. And most relevant to this discussion, it is before the gain stage of the preamp. They made it this way because they understand that most pedals sound like ass after a preamp. The reason they added this effects loop in the first place is because it gives you a nice clean buffered loop signal (basically a Valvulator) and you can switch out the pedals out of your signal path all together.
    I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

Comment

Interesting. I tried running my pedals that way once, and have also tried running my current rack units in front of the preamp, but it overloads the effects units way too soon.
      I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

And Toejam, about the front/rear tuner inputs - you can use either one. They started putting them on the front for people who plug in and out of the tuner quickly (like a Tech, rather than the actual performer) and also left the rear one for permanent installations. They also started adding outputs so you can run it in the chain instead of having to plug and unplug, so it's safe to leave it plugged in all the time.
        I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Working...
        X