Marshall JCM800 2210 Review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marshall JCM800 2210 Review

Here is a short review of the 1987 Marshall JCM800 #2210 Split Channel w/ reverb amp that I got from Deneb that originally came from Twisteramps.
    It arrived today and is probably the best packing job I have ever seen on a tube amp. I swear that box could have been thrown out of a plane and it wouldn’t have been damaged.
    Cosmetics: holy crap is this amp beat to shit. It still looks awesome but it is certainly seen its share of trucks and vans.
    Tone: holy crap does this amp sound friggin fantastic.
    Its funny, I have always been into Boogies… not the Rectifiers but rather the Mark and Studio Caliber series. I also like Soldano's and the Peavey 5150. I finally (after 27 years of shredding and owning just about every amp on the planet) know why I like those particular amps. It is because they are based on the Marshall tone (The Mesa Studio Calibers and Mark series to me sound alot like Marshalls). This 2210 is exactly the sound I love and always have. It has just the right amount of sizzle, mids and it isn’t bottom heavy like a Dual Rectifier. You can roll back the volume on your guitar and it cleans up really nice. The clean channel isn't have bad either although it isn' close to being actually clean! The reverb is very rich and usuable. I had a few other JCM’s both 800's and 900's but none of them had the gain that this amp has. IMHO, this is what a 5150 should sound like. Its the first "high gain" Marshall JCM that I have ever owned and if I didn't know it was bone stock I would swear it had mods to increase the gain.

Go figure.. a vintage JCM800 that doesn't need an overdrive, preamp or distortion pedal in front of it.

Re: Marshall JCM800 2210 Review

It sounds good, doesn't it? [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] I was surprised when I had it, from the bad rap the 2210s get. It's a little bright, but doesn't need a pedal to push it like a 2203 does.

Pete

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
      It sounds good, doesn't it? [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] I was surprised when I had it, from the bad rap the 2210s get. It's a little bright, but doesn't need a pedal to push it like a 2203 does.

Pete

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly Pete. The guy who wrote the book on Marshall amps states in his book that the 2210 is his favorite amp. It is a little bright which is exactly what I like about it. It almost has a Soldano type high end sizzle to it. I like it much better than the 2203.

Comment

Cool stuff. Those are great! [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

Im going to be looking for a JCM 800 2 channel combo sometime in the future. I just want a 5150 combo (cant move a stack around easy, so thats out of the question) and then I will probably get an old JCM 800 combo. And I will be good for a while [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] and I can focus on getting some guitars.

Whats this 2203 you speak of, twisteramps? Is that another combo?

If your not too busy playing with it, post some soundclips! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] Everybody likes ear candy.

Comment

The Marshall 2203 is a 100w JCM800 head. The 2204 is the 50w version. The 2210 is a JCM800 100w head with split channels (2 channel) and switchable reverb. The 2210 also has an added high gain circuit that Pete could probably explain better. I think its diodes (or resistors) between the preamp tubes that increase the gain between stages.

Comment

the 2210 has clipping diodes in the signal path - strangely enough, those clipping diodes clean up really well when you roll your guitar volume down. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

A lot of guys will bitch about clipping diodes in their tube amps, and then run a friggin' diode clipping pedal in the front end of their tube amp! If you like the sound of a TS9 or boss super overdrive, those are both diode clipping pedals. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Pete

Comment

Which output tubes are in your 2210? My (1982) 2210 came with 6550's, later in 1983, I changed to Groove Tubes 6550's. Recently, I wasn't satisfied with the tone or volume, so I retubed and biased a set of Groove Tube EL-34's. I'm still not quite there and may return to the 6550 tubes. [img]/images/graemlins/notworthy.gif[/img]
              Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

The amp he has, has EL34s in it IIRC. I wanted to get KT88's in it.

When I bought it from Pete, I was worried I would need a pedal...guess what...Pete said, no just try it. I really am going to feel bad about no longer having that amp, but hey, I was going to change the tonal structure with the KT88s making it harder to break up, so I can do that to another amp! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

That said, Pete, you couldn't be more right, that amp cleaned up so nicely by rolling the volume back. My Mesa cleans up good, but if you're heavy on the attack, then it breaks up, so turning back on my Mesa, compared to Johns new Marshall sucks.

That Marshall is a sweet amp, and I'm sure he will love it more as time goes on.

Comment

Do you have any sound clips? Or does anyone else have sound clips of a JCM 800 2210?
                  I have no eyes, fuck-mook!

Comment

I will post some clips in the next few days.

Comment

I have a 2210, also. I got it from a pawn shop in 1992 by trading a Carvin X100B. It's a great amp. My only criticism is that the clean souind is pretty sad. Of course, that's not why we play Marshalls, right?
                      [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]
                      Member - National Sarcasm Society

"Oh, sure. Like we need your support."

Comment

Post some clips!

Comment

I will Chris. I need to find or fashion some kind of back plate for it. I won't be gigging with it until I find a road case and a backplate for it.

Comment

Back plates. I know where you can but one new old stock for a 800/900 series head.

http://www.tubesandmore.com/?OVRAW=m...OVMTC=standard

I have an 800 I can measure if you need to see if this one will work for you.

Comment

Wow Chris, that is exactly the webite I was trying to find. I need a backplate, and a new lighted on/off switch. The lights in my switch don't work. I wonder if they are replaceable??
                              Does anybody happen to know how I take the corners and the top vent plate off? They look like they are riveted on to the enclosure and I was thinking about completely restoring the outside with new tolex, piping and front panel cloth. Do the replacements rivet back on? Do you know anybody who does this work? I would gladly pay somebody to restore the outside.

Comment

Working...
                              X