Marshall JCM800 2210 Review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Marshall JCM800 2210 Review

jgcable, Yes, Yes, yes. The rivets come out. Marshall did not make it easy for doing replacements. You have to pry upward on the corners, or you can pull the rivets with Vise grips after prying them up a little. The brass rivets and corners are available as a standard replacement part. Being you are in the Northeast, you might get with John Sprung at www.guitar-parts.com. (PARTS IS PARTS) He's got all the Marshall hardware, including piping, nameplates, switches, back plates etc.. For Tolex there are quite a few suppliers for the Marshall "elephant" covering and grill cloth for your amp and cabs. Do a search for coverings or ask John. He is a amp restoration nut and has written several books on collecting and restoring amps.
    Oh, I just checked, he has the Grill cloth and covering for the heads and cabinets. Duh, I knew he had that stuff!
    Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

nice grab JC. Who cares what it looks like as long as it sounds good....but...re-tolex that biotch so you can tell us how hard it is [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] I'd like to change the color on some of mine and I'aing gonna pay an arm and leg to have it done if it can be done fairly easily [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
      shawnlutz.com

Comment

I have done corners before. They are pretty easy to do. Just use a little finese. Get the Brass colored rivets and not the silver ones. I have Silver ones if you need a few. I think I have a few corners (front) laying around too. The back plates I have bought before. The holes did not line up with later heads but they fit okay. it just means drilling 4 new holes. 2 holes maybe... Anyway. If you are going to re-tolex it the old holes could be filled and covered so.... Glad I could help JG.

Comment

I am definately going to recover it. I would really like to do red because I gigged all throughout the late 70's to the mid 80's with a full stack of red Marshall's. The gray is really nice too.

Comment

that would be a nice choice. dont see red too often.

Comment

If you need a source for Tolex, try here:

Hullett Amps
              Member - National Sarcasm Society

"Oh, sure. Like we need your support."

Comment

Recovering an amp is not very hard. Cut your pieces to fit, get your adhesive ready and put it on.

If you're replacing the corners (plastic and all) it's super easy to remove them, if you don't mind destroying them. I take a small screwdriver, or anything that starts out thin and goes to a thicker area, pound it under it, and pry upward, lather rince repeat over all areas of corner. Pull upward, whole unit replaces. The new rivets are not hard to put in, however if you're yanking out the old ones, it does not hurt to put a few dabs of wood glue, or super glue in the hole, to hold everything super snug.

Also the rivets look like this (at least the ones I used)

|- -| |- -|
                | | | |
                | | | |
                | | | |
                |----------|

They have a split in the middle, you can pry them ever so slightly outward for a tighter fit.

Super easy, but practice a few times before you do it, and yes make sure you're getting gold ones. I've added anti skid trays to cabinets for people. It's a common mod, Mesa heads and things like MGs Valvestates, things of that nature do not fit onto the regular anti skid trays on an amp, and some people have had their heads vibrate off of the cab. Common mod is I'll measure away from the feet, use a wood chisel, dig out a hole to put the tray in, then rivet it in. Super easy, and makes some quick bucks.

Comment

I have been jamming everyday with it for a week now. Damn, what an amp. This is the best JCM800 I have ever owned.
                  If any of you JCF'rs are looking to get into a JCM800 you really need to check out the model #2210.
                  I give it a huge 2 thumbs up. If you like Soldano, the Peavey 5150, and Marshall of course.. you will love this amp.

Comment

Glad you like it. Everyone should own at least one Marshall, thats where it all started. I never had a 2210 but had a few 2203 and 2204's and only kept one JCM 800 2203 and its a classic Marshall tone monster.
                    shawnlutz.com

Comment

Working...
                    X