Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• shred pu!

hello guys!
    I'm thinkin about changin the x2n on my dinky.Any suggestion for a shred tone?Thanks!

PS:No 81 or JB,I've already them mounted in the other axes!

Re: shred pu!

Invader, XL500, Tone Zone, Evolution

Comment

EMG 81 all the way.

Comment

My luthier told me that I may like the evolution.I'm curious about the full shred and the duncan custom though.I would like something with medium output since my Fireball gives me all the gain I need.Lookin toward the evolution for now.Thanks JG!

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
          EMG 81 all the way.

[/ QUOTE ]

I already have it! [img]/images/graemlins/poke.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

Comment

Well, I have an OEM 1980s BC Rich sourced Full Shred in my Model 4 and it sounds like sorta muted and mounted in a wooden box compared to my EMG 81s. Not sure I like it much, but maybe with a major re-adjustment of EQ since all is dedicated to 81s at this point.

Wish I could find something better (to my ears) than the 81s, but I've been stuck there a while now.

Comment

Me to cleve. I try to get away from them but they keep calling me back. They are like a crack addiction. I have gone through so many other pups and I always end up going with the EMG 81.

Comment

I think maybe the thing about EMG 81's that keeps drawing people back to them is their output. While other pickups have more colorful tone, next to the EMG 81 in the same rig with the same settings, they are going to sound "weak". Maybe if you tried another pickup, then ran an overdrive to bump up your levels a bit, you might like that tone. EMG's are not the best sounding pickups I've heard, but their output makes it hard for other pickups to compete.

Comment

I'd probably have to agree Ace. When you plug them and and get the crunch chugga going, and then plug in something that goes plink twang, you're sorta swayed ehh? Hehe...

Actually, I remember using the Model 4 with the shred live for a while and dialed a fairly good stage sound with it... But I just went an plugged it in and... hurl...

Wish I could find something I liked better than the 81 really, I think there is something in the pickup that is annoying me lately, a weird sort of brittleness on the high end that I have started to fixate on. Maybe it's my 75 watt celestion cabs though... Not sure...

Sure do get drawn back to the 81s though... Yeah Parntz, like crack. Or a BBE, haha... But, I finally figured out that the BBEs sucked, hahaha...

Comment

cleve... you really just need an apc persuader lead.
                    period.

its everything you could wan't out of the 81 without any of the crap that you don't.

~JW
                    Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

Wow!I did not think the Full shred was a dark pu!What aobut a steve's special?

Comment

If you want a medium gain pickup that works really well with super high gain amps you should try the Screamin Demon or the Steves Special.

Comment

Yeah the steve's special seems like a good solution...thanks again!

Comment

Tone Zone.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                              cleve... you really just need an apc persuader lead.
                              period.

its everything you could wan't out of the 81 without any of the crap that you don't.

[/ QUOTE ]

Look at you working your angle! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] You could be an APC endorser within the next year, guaranteed! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Can't wait for our APC order to rip my testicles off with incredible tone. [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                              X