Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cabinet and pickup recommendations needed

hi all

first, i'd like to ask you guys about cabinets. ATM i'm using a mesa dc5 head through my old laney 412 cab with HH speakers, which really doesnt do the mesa justice imo. it's also too heavy and too big for me, and at the moment i dont need the big punch of a 412 cabinet (because i'm only playing at home and at rehearsal, and the cab is constantly on the move between those two places). thats why i'm thinking about getting a 212 cabinet. which kind of 212cab do you think is the best for using it with the dual caliber head? it would be especially great if it emphasized (sp?) the smoother "mark like" character of the dc more than the harsher "rectifier like" character (the dc sounds like a mixture of both the mark and the rectifier...at least i think it sounds like that ^^).

the other topic i'd like to talk about is pickups. my main guitar is a ESP ltd m 207 seven string equipped with stock duncan designed pickups, which i'd like to change out for some better pu's. i like my neck pickup sound to be quite fat and smooth sounding, but it should still remain clear when playing fast stuff on the low strings (like the unison at the end of dream theater - this dying soul). the bridge pickup should definitely be really clear sounding, especially on the low B for tight metal riffing. i also like my highend very smooth (think DT - scenes from a memory, for example), so the pickuo should not sound harsh. or overly trebly in general
    another feature the pickups have to have is that they can be split for that JP middle position clean sound. other than that, it's pretty much open territory. duncans, dimarzios, even EMG's, whatever....doesnt really matter.
    by the way, i'm not totally sure, but i think the guitar is made of basswood.

any input is greatly appreciated

greets
    fragle

Re: cabinet and pickup recommendations needed

EMG 89 in the neck, an 81 in the bridge?

You could split the 89 in an 85 and a single coil for smooth neck sounds.
    You took too much, man. Too much. Too much.

Comment

[img]/images/graemlins/poke.gif[/img] He has a 7 string.

Comment

APC 7 string pup

www.adderpluscorp.com

just use the website for their number and call them. best pickups ever!

as for the cab. that amp would probably sound best with an old boogie half back with the steel grills. you can find good deals on ebay for them and you might want to consider getting the verticle 2x12 instead. it's really amazing and your 50 watt will push it harder than a 4x12.
        ~JW
        Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

I wonder about those old ADA split stacks with the angled top speakers. My Crate 212 cab is the bane of my existence...it sounds decent and I love the carpet covering (impossible to damage it), but it always projects the sound a bit low for me. But that's gonna be true of any straigh cab.

Comment

I use my DC-3 with a Boogie 2x12 recto cab with one V30 and one Eminance Red Fang. It's actually a very smooth sounding cabinet...I've used it with a bunch of my amps: Budda Superdrive, Dr Z Carmen Ghia, Fuchs ODS, Two Rock Ruby, and others. It's deeper and shorter than the average 2x12, and seems to have a smoother overall sound with any speaker combo.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
              APC 7 string pup

www.adderpluscorp.com
              link doesn't work

just use the website for their number and call them. best pickups ever!

as for the cab. that amp would probably sound best with an old boogie half back with the steel grills. you can find good deals on ebay for them and you might want to consider getting the verticle 2x12 instead. it's really amazing and your 50 watt will push it harder than a 4x12.
              ~JW

[/ QUOTE ]

Comment

alright, i'll check out those old boogie 212 cabs. maybe i can find a decent deal for one.

regarding pickups: APC? never heard of them. would they ship to europe, too? i cant check their website because - as lrgman already said - the link doesnt work.

however, what about the dimarzio air norton 7 in the neck position, and the blaze custom in the bridge? i already have an air norton in one of my sixstrings, and it's a really really nice pickup. i'm just not sure about the bridge pickup. the "normal" blaze pu's are said to be rather trebly sounding, which is definitely NOT what i want. actually, i'd rather have a warmer sounding bridge pickup, because i think most amps have too much treble anyway, so i guess warmer pickups will make more of the treble range usable. the pickup just has to remain clarity, thats really important for me.
                btw, i dont need really high output pickups, as i tend to use less gain than most people do. imagine the gain levels of john petrucci's old live sound.

greets

Comment

sorry the link is www.adderplus.com
                  if you want a more smooth sound go for the vertical recto 2x12 if you want a more grainy power attack, go for the older half back 2x12 vertical cab.
                  Widow - "We have songs"

Comment

what about this cab?
                    2x12 mesa rectifer closed back cab, with two celestion v30 speakers, 140 watts. 5 years old. stereo.

http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...e=STRK:MEWA:IT

is this one of the more smooth sounding cabs you mentioned?

greets
                    fragle

Comment

bump

and by the way: what's the difference between the 16ohm (mono) mesa rec 212 cabs (2 8ohm speakers) and the 8 ohm (mono) ones? sound wise, i mean. keep in mind that with the cab i posted above (which has a 16 ohm mono out and two 8 ohm outs for stereo playing) i'd have a slight mismatch going on when running mono (8 ohm out into 16 ohm in)....otherwise i'd have to get another speaker cable and run stereo (i have one 8 ohm out and two 4 ohm outs....so in order to run proper impedance i'd have to connect both 4 ohm outs into the two 8 ohm stereo inputs (which is basically the same as plugging into two 112 8 ohm cabs))

greets
                      fragle

Comment

the recto's sound is smoother, yes.
                        the half backs have more cut and are airy-er

i have the 8ohm mono and run it in my 8ohm out of my .50cal.

you could do it the way you described last (with 2 cables) or you could just rewire the cab.

sounds to me like that cab has 2 8ohm speakers. and wired series for mono. if you wire it series parrallel you will have 8 ohms mono. if you wire it parrallel you'll have a 4ohm mono cab.

for wiring diagrams i recomend the triple rectifiers manual located in the manuals section of the mesa boogie website.

~JW
                        Widow - "We have songs"

Comment

Working...
                        X