Carvin MTS3200 on the way!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carvin MTS3200 on the way!!

I just bought a Carvin MTS 3200 head. I really don't need it but I hate to drag the JCM800 out to some of the crap holes I gig at. I owned a MTS3200 and was borrowing for a few months a MTS3212 (2 x 12 combo). These amps rip. When properly tubed and bias'd they sound ever bit as good if not better than a 5150 but they have a much better clean channel. I will post a full review on the bone stock one I just bought when it arrives.

Re: Carvin MTS3200 on the way!!

Awesome...get a Laney AOR cabinet from Subvamp and we can have the same rig!

Comment

I have a 2 x 12 Randall cabinet that will go nicely with the MTS. My 4 x 12 cab is reserved for my newly acquired JCM800 #2210.
      I remember when you first got your MTS (after I recommended it to you) and you were dissapointed but after retubing it and sorting out the small problems I guess you must be happy with it. In terms of gain stages, the MTS is pretty high up on the food chain. The Peavey 5150 has 6. I believe the SLO100 has 5. The MTS also has 5 although I am not sure if that is exactly true considering it has reverb that is tube driven I believe. In any case, the MTS 3200 has tons of gain which is voiced more on the modern side and the clean channel is the best 100 watt clean that I have ever heard from any amp I have ever played. It will be my workhorse when I start gigging again. My JCM800 will be a studio/recording amp only unless a really special gig comes along. Now that I am working for Sony as a writer.. you never know.

Comment

Yeah I think the preamp tubes were bad in it or something...it sounds a whole lot better now. But I want to try some 6L6's in it now, since I've kinda realized that 6L6s might be at the base of the sound I'm after from an amp. I can't wait to get my full rig together and my new guitar out of layaway to see how it all sounds.

Comment

Once I get my MTS I will share some tweaking tips. There are some simple component changes that really turn it into an animal.

Comment

Did you get it yet?

Comment

It should be arriving today. I am gonna give it a thorough thrashing and most likely tear it apart and do the mods.
              I have had 2 others, a head and a combo and even bone stock I thought that they both ripped big time. At the time I had a block lettered 5150 and the MTS3200. I gotta tell you, the MTS3200 killed the 5150 in almost every way. The clean was a million times better, it had the best long tailed reverb I have ever heard, and the lead channel was just as good as the 5150 with one added feature. IT WAS QUIET. When you turn the gain up on a 5150 ( I have had the head and the combo) it hisses like a friggin Pit Viper. The MTS was really quiet. The only feature I wish the MTS had was the resonance control. That is a great feature on the 5150. The MTS also has a better effects loop and the direct line out is a great feature.

Comment

I'm looking forward to going home for Christmas break so I can play my halfstack again...I miss being loud.

Comment

I got it today. I played it for around 3-4 hours at volumes ranging from 1 to 6.
                  It is hard to believe that anybody could not like the MTS3200. Its a Dual Rectifier, a Soldano SLO and a Marshall JCM800 all rolled up into one. Dial the gain down to 4 and it NAILS the AC/DC tone from Back in Black. Dial it up to 7 and it is Dokken, Ratt, and Scorpions. Dial down the mids and bring up the bass and it is Metallica Master of Puppets all the way. The clean channel is stunning. It is hard to find a single fault in this amp (although a master volume would be nice). The nicest feature of this amp is that it BEGS you to keep playing it. This is one of those high gain amps that actually makes you sound better than you actually do and play better too. Now I remember why I got so many compliments on my sound when I did some gigs a few years back using a MTS3200 when my Ampeg was out for repairs. This amp smokes and is SUPER quiet. There isn't a player on the planet that wouldn't love it. Its that good. I feel the need to write Carvin another letter. They sure make nice gear.

Comment

Thanks for posting that review bro. Been looking into the MTS combo, think it's the 3212. If the head sounds that great I can't imagine the combo being much different. Been getting into their stuff more n more. They make really good guitars and now I know good amps, and they're priced within the average working mans salary (thank god, that one works in my favor). Good stuff, thanks again

- Irfaan -

Comment

I also own a MTS combo and JG nailed it with his review.It can do all that he said with ease.They are a great amp for the money.
                      Mike
                      --------------------------------------------------------------------
                      SLS TG // SLATQH TSB // 2 CS Soloists both 24.75 scale // 5 Archtop PROs //

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                        I also own a MTS combo and JG nailed it with his review.It can do all that he said with ease.They are a great amp for the money.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey bro, are you in a band??

Comment

JG, I hear Carvin is tweaking the MTS for 2005 and hopefully and alot are asking for it, a Master volume knob. If they add that, I am all over the head version. I just have to have the MV control and am glad you are really digging yours bro!! Jack.

Comment

Jg, your description of the MTS matches what I feel about my VM100 head. I actually think the MTS is basically the same amp, cosmetically redesigned because (A) the Ozite look was out, and (B) to differentiate between the VT Vintage Series heads and their "modern"
                            high gain heads. I have the VT50 as well as a VM100 head, and the only differences are the power tubes (6L6 vs. EL84) and lack of a 1/2 power switch on the 50-watt VT50 head. Of course those EL84s have a uniquely cool tonality of their own, but I think that both amps having virtually the same layout caused Carvin to redesign the look, but not really the sound, from VM100 to MTS3200. I lived in LA when they switched, and bought my VM100 when they closed them out (at $359!) because I tried both and they sounded and responded the same to me. Since they were the same, and the MTS was $210 more, and liked the black front panel with chicken head knobs better, I went with the VM100.

As for lack of a master volume, the drive channel does have a master volume and the clean, well I just turn it down as needed. You can't get the slight dirt of driving the clean channel and controlling output with an overall master volume, but throw an SD-1 or Tube Screamer on that channel and it's a fair approximation. It'd be a useful addition but is not a terrible detraction to me.
                            Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

I know that tone is subjective but I would be really interested in hearing from somebody who didn't like the MTS 3200 and the reason why. I can't find a single flaw. Heck, it's even fairly light. The craftsmanship internally is outstanding. The cabinet is birch. If you have been dreaming of an SLO or a modded JCM800 or maybe you fancy the Mesa Dual Rectifier and actually have the need for all three during a gig ( I sure do), the MTS 3200 is your answer. You won't need a noise gate either, just earplugs because this is one loud mutha.

Comment

Working...
                              X