Carvin MTS3200 on the way!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Carvin MTS3200 on the way!!

Valvemasters are essentially very much the same as the MTS.
    It seemed they just shut down the one series, renamed it and put it in a different wrapper.

Comment

Hmm after reading this I am really considering getting one of these instead of an SLO if/when I ever start a band. You guys think it's that good for high gain leads?

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
        Hmm after reading this I am really considering getting one of these instead of an SLO if/when I ever start a band. You guys think it's that good for high gain leads?

[/ QUOTE ]

The answer to your question is YES YES YES!!! This amp begs you to play high gain leads. Carvin calls it violin like sustain. I call it SHRED CITY!!

Comment

I was actually looking at this for awhile (the combo that is), and now that I've heard jgcable say it's actually great for metal too, I'm definatly buyin it. I've been expending my musical tastes and this sounds like it'll satisfy all of my needs. My Spider II is no longer amusing, so Carvin here I come!

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
            [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The answer to your question is YES YES YES!!! This amp begs you to play high gain leads. Carvin calls it violin like sustain. I call it SHRED CITY!!

[/ QUOTE ]

Whoever at Carvin came up with that was an idiot! Violins hardly sustain at all, you have to keep bowing if you want a note to keep ringing. Except maybe one of those weird fretted violins, they might sustain a bit better...

Seriously though, sounds like the MTS is a great amp. How is it with the Carvin 4x12 they sell with it, if anyone knows?

Comment

The Carvin 4 x 12 is a fine cabinet. Regarding the violin sustain, I think Carvin is comparing it to a string section that continues to bow.

Comment

I know what they're trying to say, I just thought it was funny.

Comment

They're just saying it's very smooth and even, like a violin's apparent effect of sustain.
                  After all, what we call sustain is really harmonic feedback, guitar is not a naturally sustaining instrument like organ. It has lots of gain to ensure long and smooth harmonic feedback sustain. Really has more gain that you'd need, unless you have a standard single-coil Strat, then you might have to peg the gain.
                  Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

I had a chance to a/b a 5150 head and my MTS3200 both running through either a 4 x 12 loaded with 25 watt scorpions (I love those speakers) and a 2 x 12 loaded with Altec Lansing 300w Whiteframes. Here are my UNBIAS'D!! findings:

Clean channel: there is no competition. The MTS kills the 5150 in the clean department. It also has a massive level of headroom and is probably the loudest 100w clean channel I have ever heard. The 5150 doesn't really advertise their clean channel as "clean" and rightly so.

Lead channel: The 5150 has more gain but IMHO, anything above 6 on the 5150 is not very useable with way too much hiss. It does have a fantastic lead channel though. Great for anything from classic rock to all out metal.
                    The MTS3200's lead channel is more versatile with a wider range of useable gain and most importantly it is super quiet. There isn't a genre of music I can think of that you couldn't use the MTS's lead channel on. I am not kidding. From country to blues to vintage rock, 80's shred to nu-metal. No problem.

Volume: both of these amps are crazy loud but the MTS 3200 kills the 5150 regarding sheer ear bleeding volume.
                    Features: the MTS features a 50w 100w switch, a direct buffered line out and absolutely killer long tailed reverb. The 5150 has none of the above but it does have a resonance control that basically acts like a variable version of the spongy switch on a Mesa. It is a super useful feature.
                    I also like the effects loop on the Carvin better. It is silent and it reacts good to either pedals or rack effects. The 5150 is a little noisy and doesn't react to every pedal or every processor in a positive way. Stomp boxes tend to react better to the 5150. A BBE is also a nice addition to the 5150 but make sure you get one with noise reduction.

Manufacturing quality: they both appear to be made really well. The Carvin is lighter and a tad smaller. It is a very well made amp. The 5150 is fairly large and heavy. It is also a nicely made amp that KILLS the Carvin in the looks department.

Bottom line: the 5150 enjoys a following that rivals Marshall and Mesa diehard users and rightly so. It is a great fairly inexpensive metal amp that has killer tone and gain. If you are in a metal band and really only need one tone, the 5150 is the amp you should be looking at. Add some stomp boxes and you are good to go.
                    The MTS3200 is also a great amp for metal but it also excels in the clean department and can handle a wide variety of music. It has more features, its quieter at extreme gain settings, its much louder and it is less expensive.
                    IMHO... the Carvin MTS3200 wins.
                    I have been playing forever and have had everything blah blah blah... I know that there are alot of JCF'rs out there that are tossed between which amp to choose. Maybe you haven't been around the block a million times like I have. Maybe you haven't made a ton of terrible amp choices. The search for "your" tone is never ending and very important (so is practicing). Take it from me, if you have the chance to check out a MTS3200 do it! Put it through the paces. You won't be dissappointed. For the gigging/recording/practicing musician, it is a great amp.

Comment

I have always wanted to try an MTS. I have been using a Legacy head for about 5 years as my main gigging rig and feel pretty much the same way about it as JG feels about the MTS.

Comment

I am in the market for a Legacy now.

Comment

wow, sounds amazing. Almost makes me doubt the ENGL Blackmore I have planned on getting....definitely try and check out one of those MTS heads first.
                          JG, do you use a Carvin 4x12 cab with yours?

Comment

I use a Peavey cab loaded with 25 watt scorpions and also a Randal cab loaded with Altec Lansing 300w whiteframes. The cabinet it sounds best through IMHO is a Marshall slant with vintage 30's.

Comment

Re: Carvin MTS3200

I know this thread is old !!!!
                              But I just ran across one of these heads in a music store "used" tagged at $475 but the guy said cash would get a better price.

It looks brand new not a scratch

What would be a good price on it ???? any opinions

Comment

Re: Carvin MTS3200

I paid like $350 or so for mine.

Comment

Working...
                                X