Recommend an EQ

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recommend an EQ

OK, I think getting an external rackmount EQ would help me get rid of noise and really tailor my tone. I was wondering what opinions you guys have of decent rackmount EQ's. The dbx stuff is sort of what I am looking at right now...

Re: Recommend an EQ

I highly recommend the TC Electronics 1140, or I can generally recommend the Furman PQ-3.

Parametric is the truly better way to go for tone crafting and dialing in annoying freqs... I'm a big EQ fag, and I have left graphics for the Q. A bit of a learning curve with them, but they can make a things sound great sometimes.

A must have in your box of trick. Stay away fromthe digital ones, they seem to kill tone pretty well. The older analog stuff is pretty nice as far as that goes, sometimes not so transparent, but worthy nonetheless. I like having my furman just in the loop turned off with my rig, seems to do some sort of buffering thing that sounds cool.

Comment

NO Behringer parametric, it is a tone coffin BTW... BAD BAD BAD!!!

Comment

OUCH!! The tc is $608 new, none on the 'Bay. That looks like a cool unit, but a little more than I want to spend right now. And while parametric EQ's rock, I think I'll get a graphic first, then maybe a parametric later to sweep around my signal and fish for "greatness".

Comment

A Symetrix 551E 5 band EQ is a good choice. I think they quit making them recently but there are probably still some around. Great quiet unit that leaves your tone intact and is very subtle in its performance.

Comment

I just bought a TC 1140 for 175 and have a furman I paid 90 bucks for on the bay. Save your Graphic money and get a parametric. Owning several Graphics, and parametrics, the parametrics are the only thing for tone sculpting, a decent amp will do almost whatever a graphic can do really. I truly have to say parametric, even if you have to buy a pedal.

The parametric in the Metal Zone Pedal makes it one of the most useable heavy distorion pedal units only because of the EQ ability. play with one and check out what a paramtric can do.

Comment

what about alesis meq230 ? seems like alot of people (especially in heavy bands) are using it ?

Comment

I've used MEQ-231 a while. Still have it. Not bad for a Graphic I spose. I haven't sold it yet, so I guess that says something.

Comment

You've got a point with the Metal Zone thing...

I guess your probably right. If you see another tc for that price, let me know for sure!! I've still got to save up some money first.

Comment

Keep an eye out for cheap furman PQ-3s too, 80-90 bucks make them an absolute best buy unit. I still like mine a quite lot actually.

Comment

I'll 2nd the TC 1140 ( HS ) Had one, and it's the shiznit! No rack should be without it!!!

Bought and sold mine for like $250 I think.

Pat

Comment

BTW, EQs won't remove noise, in most cases they will add it. Some more than others.

Although they can help improve a marginal sounding rig, what they are great is sculpting what is already a good sound, and giving you a bit more ability to tailor it to your needs.

You can dial in a frequency and remove it almost surgically. As well as find a particular freq and sort of accentuate it to increase percievable gain in your tone without actually increasing distortion.

Unless your amp is already perfect to your ears, a parametric is pretty valuable tool for tone "sculpting".

Maybe snag the Furman (hey Dimebag liked em') and see if it does what you want, they are easy to get and to sell as well, you won't lose anything.

Comment

I'd take John's advice. I remember when he was testing the hell out of EQ's. Dude is anal about his tone so he would be the man that knows. No offense intended John. But I know your on a quest for the perfect tone. If it sounds like ass it's out the door. lol
                          We must!
                          We must!
                          We must increase the bust!
                          The bigger the better!
                          The tighter the sweater!
                          The boys are counting on us!

Comment

Furman PQ3 is a great unit.
                            I also tried PQ4 with Marshall JCM900 and 5150.
                            It made the sound so much better.

Comment

I too have been thinking of a rack EQ. I don't want anything other than parametric. I was ready to post my own thread, but I guess I won't need to. So, any other suggestions would be cool I've been thinking about something like the Pre Sonus.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/...ase_id/110101/

I'd like to find a 5 band parametric. Anyone know of any?

Comment

Working...
                              X