• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This thing looks like a blast to play

Just came across this tiny 1/2 watt tube amp:

check out this video, it actually sounds decent

http://www.zvex.com/movies/nano.mov

Re: This thing looks like a blast to play

That sounds kinda good! Nice throaty vintage-sounding cleans and crunch. Any idea how much these cost?

Comment

i found it here http://musicthing.blogspot.com/

says $400, kinda pricey

Comment

Pete (Twisteramps) can build you something like that. Check the Dealers section, check out Twisteramps.

Comment

I tried one of those out at Emerald City Guitars in Seattle. It was terrible. Cute but terrible. I played a Tele, Strat, and Les Paul into it plugged into a Dr. Z 2x12 and an Orange 2x12 so it wasn't the gear. The store was doing a 50% sale off list on Z.Vex stuff so it was going to be like $235. For $400 there are a LOT of better offerings in the small amp department.

I have a Z.Vex Super Duper 2-in-1 which is amazing so I had high hopes for the Nano.
          I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
            Pete (Twisteramps) can build you something like that. Check the Dealers section, check out Twisteramps.

[/ QUOTE ]

Can you tell me more about Pete's mini amps?

- Newc

Comment

Trying to imagine that that little box can power a 4x12 is mind-boggling.

Comment

Nope, never played one. But Newc owns one. So does Fritzreiser.
                I'd imagine they and Pete could help.

Comment

email me, and I can tell ya all about what I build. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Regarding the Nano head (the thing in the pic) the big problem is that it doesn't use 'traditional' tubes. It uses these TINY tubes that weren't ever used for guitar amps. The first ones had the tubes soldered onto the board... I believe the 2nd gen had some sort of socket. The tubes are nothing like 12ax7s... we're talking teeny tiny things here.

I give Zvex a 10 for originality, but if you expect a nano to sound like a traditional guitar amp that's just 1/2 watt, you'll be horribly disappointed. The one I checked out sounded awful to me. You might want to check one out in person before laying down $400ish new for it.

Pete

Comment

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You can power a 4x12 with one of those $20 smokey amps that run off a 9v battery.

Pete

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                      [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You can power a 4x12 with one of those $20 smokey amps that run off a 9v battery.

Pete

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep, I've got a couple of those. Sound better than a Nano too [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

- Newc

Comment

[ QUOTE ]

Yep, I've got a couple of those. Sound better than a Nano too [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

The Lil' Smokeys actually don't sound that bad through a 1x12... the little speaker in the cig pack is just laughable.
                        -------------------------
                        Blank yo!

Comment

Yeah, but they have a good farty crunch [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Pete's 4 watt head kicks ass. Yeah the Nano's cute, but the Twister is PRACTICAL. Big difference.

Newc
                          I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Working...
                          X