Marshall Artist 30watt combo 4203

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marshall Artist 30watt combo 4203

I need some information from some knowlegable Marshall Gurus.

I went to my local shop today, took a look around. Played a Peavey JSX head, as well as a 5150 head into a 5150 cab. I was kinda dissapointed [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

So I kept looking. This is a store that carries LOTS of used gear, about 70% of this store is used. Lots of old amps and guitars.

I came upon a Marshall Artist 4203 1x12 combo. It was great! only 30 watts, all tube as far as I could tell. It was lovely [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] Sounded warm and fat, a far cry from the tinny sounding 5150, JSX, and JCM 900 I played.

I dont know anything about it, other than it has a Celestion G12 in it, its all tube 30 watts 2 channel. And it says Artist 4203 on it.

It was marked for $699, and the guy said he could do $499.

I would like to know if these were very popular, what famous people used this model if any, when approximately where they made, anyhting I need to know about them.

Thanks!

Re: Marshall Artist 30watt combo 4203

Too much money. They go for about $300-400 on Ebay last time I watched them.
    It's a solid state preamp and a tube power amp. EL34's. Should have a Celestion Vintage 30 speaker. It's the combo version of the 3203 head. I own one (4203) and it's a pretty cool amp.
    Jerry
    FJA Mods YouTube

Comment

If the preamp is solid state, what is the little tube for?

Comment

rectifier or the reverb, I do not recall.

Comment

Hmm.

I think I will keep looking then. . .

For a JCM 800 combo.

Comment

I think it was the phase inverter actually now that I had some sleep. They are not a bad amp. A few Manufacturers from the 70-80's used this format and were very reliable amps..Musicman was one.

If you are looking to spend as much as you would on a JCM combo (which have been gettin up there in price as of late)

You might as well consider a THD Univalve or a Bivalve and solve your volume/attenuation problem all at once. All you need is a cab. Mesa makes some nice little combos as well.

Comment

Working...
            X