Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Multi-effects pedals... GT6, Digitech, etc.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Multi-effects pedals... GT6, Digitech, etc.

Thinking of asking for a good multi-effects pedal board for Christmas. Anyone compare the Boss GT6 or ME50 to the Digitech GNX4, Vox Tonelab SE or POD XT Live? Which one has the best features for the money?
    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Re: Multi-effects pedals... GT6, Digitech, etc.

I am using the GT-6 for basically ALL my sounds, including distortions, so the amp modelling stuff is very important to me. The ME-50 is basically the same as the GT-6 without the amp modelling stuff. Last time I checked the local stores, the GT-6 isn't very much less money than when I bought it almost two and a half years ago since it's still Boss' flagship floor processor. It does sound great at any volume level though. [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img] I will be spending some of my Christmas vacation tweaking it some more. The thing is like a bottomless bit for cool new tones.

Comment

My guitar teacher has a PODxt that we play through at lessons. It sounds pretty good even though we're playing through some cheap crappy old solidstate amp.

Comment

Cool. Thanks, guys. I'll have to do some more research and look into these things. The GT6 and XT Live seem to be the two I'm most interested in. Though, the Digitech has a built-in drum machine and 8-track recorder which is a plus. I really like the look of the Vox Tonelab SE with its two expression pedals, but I don't know if I can justify the price on that one. Plus, I remember reading that you can't combine certain things like distortion and compression which is usually desirable.

Comment

The GT-6 is my pick. It is feature packed and a great price. Next to the Vetta, it is the best modeler I have ever owned.

Comment

Thanks, John.

Comment

Doh, Editing because I didn't read the 'pedal' part... I'd say a yamaha DG stomp is great if you need classic rock gain to clean tones. They have IMHO one of the best 'just breaking up' amp tones around, and are cheap and easy to set up.

The Pod XT Live should get you REAL close to the Vetta sounds, just one amp at a time. For $399, I think they are a bargain, and are probably going to sound better than anything else you listed other than possibly the Vox.

The Vox I've played with a bit, it did great up to JCM800 level gain, the higher gain stuff didn't sound as good to me as the Line6 gear.

As always, try to check each of them out in person and make your decision based on what you think... just use our suggestions as things to look for or note. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Pete

Comment

Thanks, Pete. The GT6 and XT Live are about the same price and the two I'm most interested in as of now. I've read great reviews about both. Guess I'll have to make a trip to GC and demo them.

Comment

Just a fair warning about the GT-6 when demoing in the store. The built-in patches and EZ-Tone presets absolutely blow rectum of a large orangutan. However, me not knowing very much when I tried it out two and a half years ago, I was impressed by what seemed like endless possibilities that I could only explore if I spent time at home sculpting and tweaking. So, I took the ultimate gamble and bought it after twenty minutes of demoing, and my brother bought the GT-6B bass processor right there as well. The thing is so "deep" that it will take me a LONG time to learn everything about it. The amount of unique sounds you can get out of it is absolutely staggering. It provides a cost-effective (read: STARVING STUDENT SYNDROME) yet totally versatile solution for my needs, while being lighter than an amp, so I normally bring it to my guitar lessons along with my guitar and an extra cord to plug into my teacher's amp.

I haven't tried sculpting any really high gain tones out of the GT-6 yet since I don't really play very heavy music, but I'll have to try it this Christmas vacation. My best crunch tone right now is using a Soldano SLO100 amp sim through an 8x12 cab sim with a very short tempo-tappable delay and I don't even need to add an EQ in that patch. My previous "best crunch tone" was a Marshall-type amp sim through an 8x12 cab sim with a lot of EQ and even an OD-1 or TS-9 (depending on my mood) overdrive sim to sculpt the distortion just right. It go so ridiculous with so many factors going into the tone that I just use the Soldano one now since it's easier to tweak with just bass/mid/treble and nothing else really... [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Another thing. The Fender Twin amp sim clean tone is to DIE for. I used the Roland JC-120 amp sim for my cleans before but it seemed kinda sterile until I stumbled upon the Fender Twin sim. What a difference it made!

Comment

I prefer the GT6, I tried both the GT6 and the XT Live but the Boss sounded more to my tastes and it was easier to use..

You could wait and get a GT8 but I'm sure that would be more expensive
                    "I hate these filthy neutrals! With enemies, you know where they stand. But with neutrals... who knows? It sickens me!"

Comment

I just found a nice used Digitech RP 2000..When running these floorboard set ups should you plug into the effect loop or the normal imput? I have heard both ways..thanks,cort

Comment

I've heard both ways too. The GT-6 has effects in/out jacks to use in the effects loop, or you can just use it in front of the amp's input. For me, since my GT-6 is my one-stop tone generating device, I put it in the front as a "preamp" and using my combo amp for power on its clean channel with bass/mid/treble knobs set at neutral. I've got the volume on the GT-6 set at a sweet spot about halfway up so that it's loud and saturated enough but not up enough to distort and clip my sound, and I adjust the volume on my amp's clean channel. The tone stays pretty constant at any volume setting on the amp which is perfect for me.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                          I just found a nice used Digitech RP 2000..When running these floorboard set ups should you plug into the effect loop or the normal imput? I have heard both ways..thanks,cort

[/ QUOTE ]
                          Depends. I've got an old DOD GS30 that I sometimes use. It was one of the first modeling/effects floor processors (the blue plastic one with built-in handle). It's cool, but you can't truly bypass the od/distortions and use it in an effects loop... at least it sounds like ass when I try it. I'm just looking for something a little better now.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                            You could wait and get a GT8 but I'm sure that would be more expensive

[/ QUOTE ]
                            Hmm, when's the GT8 coming out?? Details!! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                              Another thing. The Fender Twin amp sim clean tone is to DIE for. I used the Roland JC-120 amp sim for my cleans before but it seemed kinda sterile until I stumbled upon the Fender Twin sim. What a difference it made!

[/ QUOTE ]
                              BTW, how is the acoustic simulator? The one on my DOD is actually pretty good and, whenever I use the unit (which is not that much any more) I usually use the acoustic sim for my clean tones.

Comment

Working...
                              X