Keyboard amps and stuff

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Keyboard amps and stuff

Anyone have any experience using Keyboard amps or other not-designed-for-guitar amps as a main power amp with a guitar preamp like an SP-77 or even like a POD? I'm really considering doing something like this just to be weird, but only if it's gonna sound any good...That Carvin MTS Halfstack for just under $1000 new is still Very tempting though, I'm thinking I may not be able to beat that with anything else for the price. Anyone have a system they think would beat it for $1000 or less (new or used)?

Re: Keyboard amps and stuff

What sort of music do you play? As far as the keyboard amp or any other kind of amp, it will sound worse than a guitar amp. Keyboard amps are designed to create hi-fidelity amplification, with as little distortion as possible. They sound cold and lifeless when you use them for guitar. There are better deals that you can get than a Crate halfstack for $1000 if you don't mind used gear.

Comment

Where'd the Crate come from lol? Anyway I forgot to mention that I play mostly power metal and shred type stuff along with the standard 80's stuff like Ozzy, Metallica, Dokken, whatever.

I realize that the hi-fi stuff is supposed to reproduce almost exactly what it's given, which is why I'm looking at it.

Theory: If people use POD's to record direct and it sounds good, than that same POD should sound good through a hi-fi amp without changing the settings much at all.

Comment

I used my POD thru my brother's keyboard amp once and thought it sounded awful. Get the Carvin MTS or find a used Peavey Triple XXX.

Comment

Sorry, I thought you said Crate. Still, running a POD through a keyboard amp will not sound as good as running a POD through a guitar amp. Go to Guitar Center and try it yourself.

Comment

I used to practice with my Digitech RP300 through my TOA PA amp, and it really wasn't that bad. Then again, that amp has variable gain and EQ.

Still, a guitar amp is a better bet. If you're going to use a POD exclusively, most cheap solid state amps should sound fine. You should be able to find something good and used for under $75.

Comment

Working...
            X