Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Peavey JSX

I got the amp this morning.
    It is hard to describe the sound I get from the amp but what I can say is the 2nd CH is prett sweet.
    The amp is very noisy.
    I really don't know if Satriani really needs this much gain.
    I was expecting JSX to sound bit of Marshall but I was so wrong.
    Even CH2 has too much gain. CH3 can do Death metal!
    If you are a gain freak, you will love it.
    You will still need a better noise gate to shut the noise off.
    The EQ knobs work very good and easy to dial in to get your sound.
    It has built in Noise gate but it doesn't help much.
    It does remind me of 5150 but more flexible with EQs.

I think the amp is good but the sound is too bright,too much gain for me to play.

[img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

Comment

I did check out the one at Daddies and Channel 2 for me anyway is much more usable than channel 3. the clean channel was very good, I'd have to really take it for a spin to decide if I really like it or not, but from I heard so far, not bad, not great a combo may be the ticket.
      If this is our perdition, will you walk with me?

Comment

I tried it with a 4x12 Marshall with 25watt greenbacks.
        It started to sound better after I lowered the treble knobs on EQs to 3 or 4.
        CH2 is great and I am getting to like it much better now.

I just sold the cabinet minutes ago to a local guy and no cabinet at home..
        He tried the amp with the cabinet and he liked it and wanted to buy the amp from me as well. [img]/images/graemlins/eek.gif[/img]
        I am going to pick up my old Peavey 5150 cab I use it as Fax machine stand [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] at my business and see how it will sound with it.

Comment

I knew it was a matter of time until the machine began producing all in one rigs...fax machine, telephone, scanner, amplification device...I think it's a cool amp and I agree..it reminds me of a 5150 II....should sound good w/ that cab...MERRY XMAS TO ALL.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
            Chris Amott from Arch Enemy now uses the JSX. His tone sounded very nice live.

[/ QUOTE ]
            You should have gone up to him and told him that!! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
            "Hey man, you sounded nice up there." [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

I agree that the JSX has sort of a dorky "space age" look to it. Or maybe some bad attempt to capture the look of the bumper off a 1941 Chevy. But it looked to me like those silly panels were held on by a few allen screws, so they could be easily taken off. For that reason I don't really hold the cosmetics against this amp. IMO the XXX looks like plain butt, while the 5150 looks just fine to me.

Comment

I've got a Triple XXX, so I'm really curious as to what the tonal differences are. I heard it has a little less gain and is more midrangey.

I absolutely love my Triple XXX, but don't try and play it with the POS Peavy XXX cabs. It crank mine through a Marshall 1960BV 4x12 with the vintage 30s. To me, this amp is all about channel two when it comes to solo work and single note lines. Very expressive and musical, but you'll have to take them time to tweak the eq to suit you. This isn't an amp that you can just plug in and go, because the active eq controls are so flexible and versitile. The cleans are great, too, beause it's not running through the preamp tubes.

Why does everyone say that channel three has too much gain? You can turn it down, you know. I keep mine on about 2/3 and use it for heavy rhythm work only. I remember about ten years ago, everyone bitching that amps didn't make enough gain. Now they make too much?

Comment

Working...
              X