Bought a new amp!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bought a new amp!

It's not like I needed it or anything, but the deal was too good. I picked up a Mesa F50 for wwwwaaaayyy cheap. I couldn't resist after less than 5 mins with it... it sounds that good. Anyone else have one of these little monsters? Amazing clean channel, outstanding second channel. The contour mode puts a Rectifier to shame (I have a Single Rec) with it's clarity and TONS of gain. Even though it uses 6L6's, and has that trademark Mesa tone, it sorta has a Marshall crunch thing going on too. If my playing was any good, I'd post some clips. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Re: Bought a new amp!

F50s make me feel funny in my pants. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

I have a JCM800 combo with one channel, but F50 people is good people too.
    When you take a shower in space, you have to press the water onto your body to clean yourself, and then you gotta vacuum it off. - Ace Frehley

Comment

Congratulations Steve, cool amps. I have the earlier version of that amp, the DC-5. Great amps and very versatile.

You never need another amp but the mo the better. I'm up to four of them right now 3 heads, 3 4x12's and a 1x12 combo with a 1x12 ext cab [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] I just got a VooDoo Labs Amp selector switch and I can run all 4 at once, its a blast having them all fired up and changing back and forth between them [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
      shawnlutz.com

Comment

Hey Shawn, how you liking that Bogner? You should run all your amps at once rather than switching back and forth. [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img] I wonder what that would sound like? Probably pretty good until the cops showed up... [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

It's definite fun to have all that crap, though all my amps are Boogies. I think the next new "toy" is going to be a modeler of some sort... maybe a POD XT live.

Comment

YAY NEW AMPS!! I love amps just as much as I love guitars. I have five right now.

1 ADA-VHT rack rig
          1 Marshall VS65R practice amp
          1 Fender POS "Hot" practice amp
          2 Smokey amps(One Marlboro, one Camel)

Comment

I really like the 101B alot, great tone. 3 Channels, clean, mean and meaner [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] It covers a lot of ground from classic hard rock to metal, not too brutal but you can coax modern metal out if it.

The Mesa actually has the best clean out all of my amps, keep in mind clean isn't my thing, just for intros and clean appregiated stuff. I considered the F- Series when I was looking at Mesa amps but I liked the graphic EQ and I got what I though was good deal..$550 or $570...sumptin like that. I really love that little sukker. Best bang for the amp buck imho.

Did you get the head or combo version of the F-50? I have the combo DC and it really sounds nice with a 4x12.
            shawnlutz.com

Comment

Very cool! I love new amps. I'm thinking of getting a Mesa at some point, but have never tried one yet. I currently have
              '69 Plexi Marshall 50 watt
              '72 4x12 Marshall cab
              '87 4x12 Marshall Silver Jubilee
              80's Red Bear half-stack
              '04 50-watt Splawn Quick Rod
              And a small slew of practice amps
              I sold off my other 2 Marshall heads which I wish I had kept. But here's a pic of my '69 Plexi.
              Dana <~~~
              '85 Rhoads Custom
              '86 SD Str*t
              '86 Model 4 (5)
              '87 Model 1
              '87 Model 6
              '88 Model 3DR
              '90 650 XL
              '94 KE-3
              '97 DR Amberburst
              '97 Dinky BOFlames
              '05 SD Copperhead

Comment

A close-up.
                Dana <~~~
                '85 Rhoads Custom
                '86 SD Str*t
                '86 Model 4 (5)
                '87 Model 1
                '87 Model 6
                '88 Model 3DR
                '90 650 XL
                '94 KE-3
                '97 DR Amberburst
                '97 Dinky BOFlames
                '05 SD Copperhead

Comment

Shawn, drop a Mullard in V1 of the Bogner and crank it...definately a more aggressive metal tone...I'm with you..I don't hardly need a clean channel. The thing I have found w/ my Bogner is that it sounds its best at really low volume or cranked on the red channel....in between is a bit hairy, busy, whatever..it just don't sound as good. I'll have to check out an F50...I've had a couple of MK IV's which are cool but I get tired of hearing them...the Bogner...it's a keeper. Oh yeah one other Bogner tip...go to the green channel ...dime the gain and crank the volume....THAT is an awesome tone/feel.

Comment

New amps! Always fun.
                    F50.. is that a head amp?
                    Congrats!

Comment

Yep, wide body head. Just for the hell of it, I popped some JJ 12AX7's I have lying around in there. Sweet even more clarity and detail. I think I'm gonna get some JJ 6L6's for it as well.

Comment

Working...
                      X