Wireless Systems - Advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Wireless Systems - Advice

Yeah, I think wirelesses generally use some sort of companding circuit that sorta cramps the tone a bit in most wirelesses. Sorta necessary I think. And yeah, I bet the EMG/PA-2 stuff gets even harder to deal with, particularly because of output, and that is what I use also.

I've heard the X-Wire units were the best things around, and they were out of production when i went to investigate them, and ended up with my Sure LX unit, which was pretty cool and well made as well, other than the detachable cable on the transmitter going bad a few times on a show night. But I always have an extra around now, learned my lesson.

Basically, when I ran regular amps like 5150s, 4100 Marshalls, The Voodu Valves, PSA-1, or JMP-1, etc. I never really noticed much difference between the cord and wireless units. Just the CAE was displaying the difference really.

Comment

Ok, anyone knows how to choose a wireless based on the parameters written? Like VHF vs UHF, frequency range blah blah?
      My bandmates use Samson (with those mini transmitters). The new ones cost like 300 bucks. Is it just because the transmitters and receivers are so small?
      I didn't notice much difference between my 25 bucks 5 meter cable and the 300 $ wireless on stage.

Comment

The Sennheiser Digital 1000 is the X-Wire. Senn. bought them out, and repackaged them. If I ever had to replace mine, I'd seriously look into one of these.
        ...that the play is the tragedy, "Man"

Comment

I just got an AKG wireless - $300, $149 from musician's friend, and it seems to be pretty good. Funny thing - with my Vetta, it sucks a little high end but sounds ok. I can compensate with the global controls.

It doesn't sound so good with my Soldano HR50+. I'm going to see how well it does at practice and at our gig in two weeks... if it does really badly, it goes back to MF and I'll get a better one. Gotta love their return policy. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Pete

Comment

I had one of the Sennheiser digital systems. It sounded awesome, they don't have a caompander in them, which is what helps them to get the sound of a cable..

I had mine for almost a year and it stopped working, it was still under warranty so I sent it back to sennheiser. I got it back a week later, only it was a new one, they couldn't fix mine and I plugged it in and POOF! NO Sound!!!

I was ticked. So I called back Sennheiser and they said to send it back, and I did, but after about 3 days I go a call from them.

They said that they were having problems with the Digital systems and the woman told me that they were also having a hard time getting parts for them.

So they bumped me up to an Evolution system, and since I had waited so long, they trew in the rack mounts and the anteanas.

I love this thing, there is no noticable sound difference and I use d it outside at about 200 feet away and it still sounded great and no dropouts.
            Madness Reigns......... In the Hall of the Mountain King!

Comment

I have a SHure SLX paid $600 for it. Excellent performance. Nigel Tufnel would even use it [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] really though, its great. But its spendy$$$. I agree with Ron, if you wanna play, you gotta pay. I dont notice any signal loss. Nice battery life, great sound, no drop outs. I only use it live onstage. I didnt want to F*ck around with problems, so I went high end. I did lots of research before I got one. I read lots of reveiws, talked to people here, read tech specs. Its the best choice for me. There are many good ones for less money that will get you by.
              "clean sounds are for pussies" - Axewielder

Comment

I've got a 300€ Shure set, and I never had any problems with it... Untill I swapped the J50BC in my Mod6 for a ToneZone. The TZs higher output makes my receiver overdrive all the time, even with the sender-gain all the way down. So I guess the wireless will have to go again, I got it used for cheap though, so I can probably even make some profit off it [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Edit: Darn, just noticed that this was an OLD thread, sorry [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                X