I Need new cables

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I Need new cables

I am tired of buying no name 1/4" instrument cables, what is the most indestructible cable for the money and who has the best prices?
    Monster can bite me too.
    When you take a shower in space, you have to press the water onto your body to clean yourself, and then you gotta vacuum it off. - Ace Frehley

Re: I Need new cables

don't know about indestructible but I use George L cables. It started with a pedal board kit and then an instrument now everything is George L except my speaker cable which I leave as Monster cable. The George L stuff if it does go bad it would be at the termination point, all you gave to do is snip it of and re-terminate with their solder less 1/4 inch jacks.
    shawnlutz.com

Comment

Thanks!
      George L sounds good to me. Are there any others of that quality out there? Just want to keep my options open.
      When you take a shower in space, you have to press the water onto your body to clean yourself, and then you gotta vacuum it off. - Ace Frehley

Comment

What's wrong with Monsters?

I use Monster speaker cables and their Jazz instrument cables....seem good to me but if there is better than...

Comment

I use George L's for everything except my line from the guitar to the pedalboard. That is the thickest Monster Cable I can find. George L's sound great, but they aren't very tough.

Comment

A friend of mine - who's a signal purity snob - just started using Lawrence's new cable. Like George L's, but cheaper, and he says he likes the tone better.

That doesn't help for tough, though.
            Division - American Metal that doesn't suck. Much. Even on Facebook.

Comment

Dimarzio cables were the only ones to pass the cymbal drop test a few years back in Guitar Player. For those not in the know, that's when you're clumsy drummer (or to be fair, his drunk roadie) drops a cymbal on your cable, edge down - like a guillotine.
              -------------------------
              Blank yo!

Comment

Try out Planet Waves and Mogami, and also Rapco.

Comment

I think there's the spectra-flex which is covered in a flexible metal jacket... but I could be wrong.

I use Monster to and from the wah, and Mogami that I cut and soldered myself in the rack.
                  ...that the play is the tragedy, "Man"

Comment

Try the Canare cables. They are the best out there and also go for a great price. All the others like Monster you are paying for a name. They sell canares on ebay or if you want e mail me and I will give you the number of the guy who makes mine up.

Comment

I would get either mogami or canare cable with neutrik connectors. You can do a google search or look on ebay. You can find them in custom lengths or any standard lengths. This is some of the best quality stuff out there and will be at least half the price of monster cable, which is really cheap cable and connectors marked up a whole lot. I also use George L, which is as good, but tends to be more expensive. You can get the canare and mogami for around $.55 per foot at most places and the best neutrik connectors for around $4 each. You do the math.

Comment

I've always used Horizon cables, but then again every few months, I'm always reterminating my connections.

I've always looked at different companies, and I'll tell you one thing that I think makes a cable a lot better (forgive me if you already know this).

Awhile back, I bought a crap load of Horizons (say 4+ years?) 4 25 foot, 4 20 foot, 4 10 foot, 4 3 foot, 2 1 foot, and some short jumpers (those weren't Horizon though).

I remember the lengths because the guitarist I was playing with, had the same rig as me pretty much, just no cables to run it, and I always wanted to have a back up for everything.

Several years later, I buy some new cables (after a few of the old ones went bad.) and I had to replace them within 2 shows.

I was like wtf? The old ones had the outer wiring braided, where as the newer ones had it just running up the sides. See with the braids, even if it breaks in a small place, it doesn't usually fail, but if it breaks on a non braided cable, it usually fails.

Comment

Braided cables are shielded too. They are much quieter.

Comment

rapco cables, are my choice
                            Guitars... Rhoads RX10D
                            Amp... Pioneer
                            Effects... Boss ME-20

Comment

i use military grade surplus cables that you can buy from a military outlet catalog.
                              they have teflon coated insulation, silver coated cores and are flame resistant and thinner than your avg cable of the same grade.
                              silver is the best conductor around, better than gold, copper, etc, but no one uses it because it oxidates quickly. by using teflon insulators, the silver never oxides inside the cable since it is an excellent and expensive material. the cable is also thinner than a cable of the same rating since the insulation is thinner, but provide the same amount of isolation.
                              these are the best cables you can buy period.
                              the only downside is they are not as flexible as normal guitar cables, so i tend to use these between pedals, between speakers, amps, and power cables.

Comment

Working...
                              X