Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Boss pedal board review and new stomp boxes ...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boss pedal board review and new stomp boxes ...

I picked up a couple of stompboxes over the weekend and thought I'd post some feedback. First off, I got the new BOSS pedal board. I know there's probably some better ones out there, but for about $125, this thing works great for about 5 or 6 pedals, powering all of them and creatively hiding most of the wires under a hidden panel. It works good but isn't compatible with all effects. For instance, I had to cut portions of one of the power jacks down to fit my Dunlop Crybaby. It didn't affect performance. Also, the jack size was completely wrong for a new Electro-Harmonix phaser (Small Stone) pedal I bought. Overall, though, the construction is hard plastic, the pedals fit nicely, my effects are powered without batteries, everything's connected well, etc. I've got a Crybaby, a Korg DT-6 tuner, a Guyatone mini delay, a phaser, and my Mesa Rectoverb 3 button footswitch in there.

I had some bad luck with the Electro-Harmonix phaser. Not only did the power cord not fit it, one of the color settings on the unit wailed when I ran it through my Mesa's effects loop. (Not "wailed" in a good way, either). Needless to say, I'm trading it for an MXR Phase 90 (not the new overpriced EVH one but the original model). That will probably work better. I was surprised though, because I thought EH stuff was good ... maybe I did something wrong.

I also picked up a Guyatone mini digital delay. It works great through the Mesa's effects loop, switches silently, has a broad range of delay, etc. Highly recommended.

I also highly recommend the Korg tuner ... these are still fairly new, but I picked it up a few months ago.
    My YouTube Videos | My SoundCloud Page

Re: Boss pedal board review and new stomp boxes ...

as far as phasers, did you try the digitech hyper phase? that's what i'm using and it is pretty killer...although i do enjoy the simplicty of the MXR. the digitech is really versatile: 7 types of phase shifiting with speed, depth, and regen controls...plus it's stereo. i can go from classic 70's style phasing to weirdo synth-type sounds very easily...although i mostly use it for dave murray/uli roth style swirly-ness!! same price as the MXR, check it out if you haven't...if you have, ignore me!!
    GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

Re: Boss pedal board review and new stomp boxes ..

Well, I didn't try the Digitech, as I really am looking for simplicity. My MXR Phase 90 came in, and it is wonderful. I don't know what the deal was with the Electro-Harmonix Small Stone. Maybe I just got a bad one, but the Phase 90 is so much better. Exactly the tone I was looking for in a phaser--not to mention the fact it works with my Boss' power cord, so I don't need batteries for any of my effects.

Another thing I found interesting is that I started out running the phaser and the delay through my Mesa's effects loop, but then I got lazy and just ran all the effects straight into the amp ... sounds exactly the same. Go figure. Not sure why I would need to use the effects loop on this amp, unless it could hurt the amp, but I don't see how. Overall, I'm very pleased.
      My YouTube Videos | My SoundCloud Page

Comment

Re: Boss pedal board review and new stomp boxes ..

it won't hurt your amp to run all the effects to the input. I find that using the effects loop is just a pain in the buttocks anyway, and most effects are made to be used straight intot he amp without problems.

Comment

Working...
        X