Bought a 5150 head today!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bought a 5150 head today!

Ok guys, after looking for a used Dual Recto without any luck I decided to go for a brand new 5150. I got a pretty good deal on it and I really like the tone I got out of it in the music store. I brought my ESP with an x2n and was very pleased! Seems like the 5150 is a great alternative for the money (and everyody seems to say so too)!

Now I think I'll try to find a Marshall 1960 cabinet, I'm not too good on these things, but I thought it sounded really good when I played it through a 1960 in the store!

Guess there are plenty of other guys here that use the 5150!?

[img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

Anders
    https://www.facebook.com/cutupofficial

Re: Bought a 5150 head today!

congratulations, man, you bought a nice piece of METAL gear \m/

regarding cabs: definitely look for a matching 5150 cab, they are said to be the best match with the 5150 head.

and by the way....look for a BBE sonic maximizer [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

fragle

Comment

I used to run a Boss GE-7 and an NS-2 in the loop. Cheap and it made it sound much more alive. I ran the BBE with it too in the loop. Many here have run it with this setup and it makes the head so much more alive. Congrats! I like these better than the rectumfriers. They kill!

Comment

Having owned several 5150s and using many cabs with them, I HEAVILY implore you to use an actual 5150 cab with it.

There is something about the 5150 cab they have designed into it that REALLY and seriously brings out a lot from that amp. 5150 cabs will let you use more gain and keep definition, and more resonance that any other cab without the "flubulation". They really are a drastic difference from any other cab, and I've used them with MESA, Marshalls and Ampegs with Celestions in them, and several other quality cabs.

Get a 5150 cab, and you will be very happy. Plus, they are usually cheaper than Marshalls or MESAs.

Comment

How much did it cost over there brand new?

If I lived in Europe, I'd buy a Diezel or a Framus or something. Seeing how they're so much cheaper over there...
          The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

well, in germany, a brand new 5150 I head costs 955 euro, and the 5150 II 1150 euro

well, a lot of the high quality amps are in the 1600-2000 euro range. vetta II, framus cobra, used mesa rectifier, engl powerball (1450 euro), engl savage,....

the REALLY high quality stuff like diezel, bogner, soldano etc doesn't cost any more than in the US, though. i think a diezel herbert is still about 3500 euro, and isn't it something like 4000 $ over there?

greets
            fragle

Comment

Congrats, that's one kickass amp! [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]
              I run a 5150 II through a Marshall 1960 V, with Vintage 30s, and it sounds pretty good. Haven't got the money to buy a Peavey cab, I haven't even seen too many of those around on German ebay. One day I'll have to hook my amp up with one and test it.
              Framus and Engl stuff is really nice, but I haven't seen a Framus Cobra anywhere. Kinda hard to obtain, it's easier to playtest a Powerball or Savage. Not that those amps are bad, I love the powerball [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

Oh, I thought they were a lot less because of not having to pay any duties, shipping, and the conversion rate.
                The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

Congrats on the head. I've played through em a few times and love em. I also recommend the Peavey cab too. Really changes the voicing of the amp. It's a lot smoother to me and handles the tight low end really nice.

Comment

Thanks for the congrats and recommendations people!

It's a little frustrating to have the head but no cab and not being to play it yet! [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

At the same time it's a bit hard to feel happy for making a purchase when Mieszko Talarczyk, singer/guitarist in the grindcore band Nasum (www.nasum.com) from my hometown is missing in Thailand... Bought the amp at the same music store that he visits quite often (we only have two in our town, but anyway...) What's happened there is just horrible!

Anders
                    https://www.facebook.com/cutupofficial

Comment

Hey congrats!! New stuff is cool [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

Musicians friend is blowing them out. Both series. can get a 5150 now for $750. A 5150II for $750 too. Pretty good deal!

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                          Musicians friend is blowing them out. Both series. can get a 5150 now for $750. A 5150II for $750 too. Pretty good deal!

[/ QUOTE ]
                          I guess we'll see a lot more of that come January when the "new" 6505 is released [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

hope i can find 5150 here in my hometown...everybody here just talking about marshall...bla bla marshall this..bla bla marshall that..yawn...

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                              hope i can find 5150 here in my hometown...everybody here just talking about marshall...bla bla marshall this..bla bla marshall that..yawn...

[/ QUOTE ]

Where is your hometown? It sounds terrible. [img]/images/graemlins/poke.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                              X