Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dimebag sound question

hi all

no, this won't be another "how to get dime's sound" thread [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
    i'd just like to ask you how dime managed to cut through a mix with his heavily scooped sound?? obviously, he didn't have a second guitar player, but i still wonder how he kept his sound from getting drowned out.

any ideas?

greets
    fragle

Re: Dimebag sound question

I think there is more midrange in his sound than you first think.
    Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

Here is Dime's setup from 2000.
      I think it has to do a lot with his pickup and EQs(MXR 6band which is not included in the detail below but I saw it with other articles. And Furman PQ4).

Comment

Most guitarist only use 1 or 2 100 watt valve heads, but I imagine he needed all 6 300 watt SS amps in order to get a good soild sound. I'll bet he didn't have them tuned up passed 1/2 volume either cuz even 300 watts would start to loose dynamics and become very thin.
        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-6M4lm9Ahz0

Comment

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
          Not really. I remember reading he said he always did the scooped midrange sound. With a one-guitar band, you can be heard better with that setup than with two guitar players... plus the fact that he liked the bass guitar to have more mids so it blended together better.
          I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Don't listen to them. What you really do is turn your lows, mids, and highs all the way up. Then go ahead and turn your gain up and volume up as MUCH AS YOU WANT! Trust me on this one. Oh did I mention you have to have a Warhead amp. Plug in and hit a huge E power chord. If you haven't killed at least everyone around you you've done it wrong. [img]/images/graemlins/band.gif[/img]

Comment

Ummm... right. If you turn up all the knobs all the way, what you've done is just pretty much raised the overall volume, but you might have valleys in your wave depending on the width of the band on your EQ knobs. I bet a fully dimed out Warhead would sound like total ass.

Comment

hahaha get is "dime" the controls. Super awesome.

I'm drunk.

Comment

i dont know about the warheads but with the old RG100's (Dime used to use & i heard never stopped using them) even with scooped mids they are alot more mid rangy & brighter than most amps, even when you scoop the mids. ive had a few of them. they are naturally bright sounding amps. & didnt he use an some sort of MXR distortion or overdrive as well?

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
                    Not really. I remember reading he said he always did the scooped midrange sound. With a one-guitar band, you can be heard better with that setup than with two guitar players... plus the fact that he liked the bass guitar to have more mids so it blended together better.

[/ QUOTE ]

Definitely possible, but as Jaimie says, the Randalls are pretty midrangy to begin with. My RGT100 sounds very midrangy even when comkpletely scooped. That's even without the mid boost on. The mid boost adds almost unusable midrange. I believe the RG100s had the PULL TREBLE BOOST, PULL SUSTAIN, and PULL MIDBOOST functions the same as the RGTs. I could be wrong though. Could someone confirm this?

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                      [ QUOTE ]
                      [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Definitely possible, but as Jaimie says, the Randalls are pretty midrangy to begin with. My RGT100 sounds very midrangy even when comkpletely scooped. That's even without the mid boost on. The mid boost adds almost unusable midrange. I believe the RG100s had the PULL TREBLE BOOST, PULL SUSTAIN, and PULL MIDBOOST functions the same as the RGTs. I could be wrong though. Could someone confirm this?

[/ QUOTE ]
                      Yeah, that's true. If they do have more midrange to begin with, then he could have more mids than we realize. Though, his sound is pretty much on the high and low end. I remember reading he liked Rex to use more midrange so it wouldn't get drowned out and would mix well together with his scooped sound. The scooped sound is the one thing Hetfield fukked up on when doing AJFA... the low end of his guitar completely masked up the lows of Jason's bass and he couldn't be heard. If Jason had used more mids, he definitely could have been heard.

Comment

so his sound was not THAT scooped? now that's interesting...
                        does anybody know how he set his outboard eq? obviously not the exact settings, just the general idea.

i've never seen pantera live, so i've never heared his live sound, but i wonder what it was like. we all know that anything can sound good in the studio, but live the real qualities of a rig are revealed imo.

isn't jgcable a big randall fan? i bet he could tell us a lot about those RG amps [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

greets
                        fragle

Comment

I always read he scooped his main rhythm sound and just boosted the mids for playing leads. He always sounded pretty scooped to me. Not sure how he set up his Furman, though.

Comment

As far as typical guitar tones go, Dime was pretty damn scooped. The term "Mids" is quite broad. Theres the low to high mid range and the level of those frequancies within that rang, but however you cut it, Dime had lots of low lows and high highs.
                            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-6M4lm9Ahz0

Comment

I think he had lots of high mids, and mid highs as well, maybe with some high lows, and some low highs thrown in for good measure. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                              X