Help!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help!!!!

I have a concert with various other groups here in chile on thursday and the production told me that there will be a Marshall JCM800 for guitars. I play something like thrash, no extreme thrash though, and I know, althought I haven't play with that amp, that has little gain for my style of playing, so:

1) What will be best? a booster (tubescreamer), an overdrive (Boss OD-3 for example), a distortion (DS-2) or some kind of line6 modeler stomp box with distorsion (DM4 for example)

2) And if the model you think should fit isn't in the list plz post it too...

Thanks

Re: Help!!!!

Comment

Crank the amp's gain and then boost it with some kind of OD pedal such as a Tubescreamer, OD-3, etc. Personally, I really like the DOD Juice Box... it's a dark green pedal that was like DOD's answer to the Tubescreamer, but they're discontinued now. You can probably find one on ebay cheap.
      I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Use the Tubescreamer and turn up the level, very little drive - you may like it with the drive turned up, but I don't care for it, and put the tone @ 12 oclock.
        Gain all the way up on the amp.
        I personally dime the mid and put the high and bass around 5 on my JCM800.
        Presence is up to you, but start it out @ 5.
        When you take a shower in space, you have to press the water onto your body to clean yourself, and then you gotta vacuum it off. - Ace Frehley

Comment

Bring the Line 6 DM4 - sounds great and will cover you no matter what you run into.
          I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

Comment

Do you OWN any of those pedals, or are you going to buy one? I second the Tubescreamer, the JCM800 has great distortion, you just need to push it hard to get it out of there. I think overdriving the amp is a much better idea than getting a stand-alone distortion.

Comment

I will buy one of those pedals

Comment

JCM 800's don't have a lot of gain. Solution is good pedal combo to use in front, the Boss Super Overdrive (SD-1, the yellow one) and Boss GE-7 EQ. I have a JCM800 2203 and those pedals are great with that amp. I liked it better than a Tube Screamer. TS isn't bad but those would be my two choices. Boss SD-1 or TS8 or 9. The EQ isn't a requirement, just gives you a little bit more of tonal variations.
                shawnlutz.com

Comment

Boss MT-2 Metal Zone pedal, I love these things for thrash. Jack.

Comment

I second the motion. The Boss MT-2 is GREAT for thrash.

Comment

If you want an example of a JCM 800 + Tubescreamer on top, check out Ride The Lightning. I personally don't really like pedals for added distortion. I'd hack it on the JCM alone!
                      You took too much, man. Too much. Too much.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                        Crank the amp's gain and then boost it with some kind of OD pedal such as a Tubescreamer, OD-3, etc. Personally, I really like the DOD Juice Box... it's a dark green pedal that was like DOD's answer to the Tubescreamer, but they're discontinued now. You can probably find one on ebay cheap.

[/ QUOTE ]
                        I have a DOD FX52 Juice Box too. Friggin outstanding pedal. Especially in front of a tube amp. I think the Juice Box blows any stock Tube Screamer away. It sounds to me alot like a YJM308 or a DOD 250 but with an added EQ section. Noiseless switching too. When you can find one for sale, they usually are the deal of the century.

Comment

Thanks everyone

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                            [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
                            I have a DOD FX52 Juice Box too. Friggin outstanding pedal. Especially in front of a tube amp. I think the Juice Box blows any stock Tube Screamer away. It sounds to me alot like a YJM308 or a DOD 250 but with an added EQ section. Noiseless switching too. When you can find one for sale, they usually are the deal of the century.

[/ QUOTE ]Yeah, I've actually got two of them. I got my first one on ebay a few years ago. Then I bought another one here from Paul (PArntz) like a year or so ago. Not a lot of people care for DOD, but they've got some pretty good pedals, especially the Juice Box. I love how it's got the bass and treble controls, and it seems to have a little midrange built in. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
                            I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Working...
                            X