speaker replacement vs. buying a new cab

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: speaker replacement vs. buying a new cab

you can find the soundsamples here and than click on "toneselector".

Comment

you should try the mesa recto "traditional" cab. same v30's but marshall cab dimentions. (brings back that "something" that is lost in the standard recto's) really tightens up that cab.

but hey, you might just like the 5150 cab better?
      Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

Fragle, I think the speakers you're describing are the Eminence V12s. Kinda like a V30 but warmer and punchier IMO. If you were to replace the speakers get those. I own a DC-5 combo, great but loud! (louder than an ENGL Powerball and even louder than the father of loud's JCM800 2210!). You really have to crank the Master past 3 to get a full blown Metal sound. I think there's a half closed back cabinet on Musik Flohmarkt for 420 euros, if you're able to sell your cab you might wanna contact the seller

Good luck!

Comment

neeradj: eminence v12, eh? thanks, i'll try to check those out.

tooling: i really dont think i'm a marshall guy. while i haven't owned one, i've played a lot of marshalls, and i've owned a laney gh head, which is esentially a marshall with more bass and gain IMO. however, i always thought that marshalls have a certain high midrange emphasis that i REALLY dislike. i'm a low midrange guy...lots of mids, but low mids. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] for example, i tend to boost 240hz and 750hz on the graphic eq, but most of the time i cut the 2200hz way down. however, i like the sound of albums that were recorded with marshalls or marshall style amps (for example more recent saxon, judas priest - painkiller, or metallica's ride the lightning).....i've yet to hear a marshall sound like THAT in real life, though [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

one last question: could anyone describe the sound of the 5150 cabs? do you think they would fit my needs?

greets
          fragle

Comment

i just checked out the soundclips at the celestion website, and i liked the classic lead and g12h speakers best. the vintage 30s sound VERY fuzzy imo (at least in those soundclips), whereas the gt75's sound slightly less fuzzy, but still not quite as warm as i'd like.

please, listen to the 50/100w head & 4x12 cab soundclip (the one with the g12h speakers). i really like the way the mids and highs sound in this clip. but then again, it's just a soundclip [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

greets
            fragle

Comment

i definately like the g12h's the best. too bad marshall is using the thin sounding g12t-75's

i think its interesting that the vintage 30's are listed as 60 watts on the celestion site, and 70 watts on both the boogie and marshall sites. and the g12h is listed as 30 period.

i wish i could get a marshall cab leaded with g12h's.
              Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

As a point of reference...the perfect metal tones that have been recorded IMO are three bands..Early Van Halen,Accept,and Metal Church....the edge going to Accept. These are absolute stellar Marshall tones and not one of them has anything near a high end harshness...it's rather sweet and organic sounding actually. You are spot on with trying to emphasise the low mids....welcome to the Bogner XTC and their cabs are voiced for them. I'm not trying to brag about my rig it just comes as close to the reference tones I listed as anything I've heard. The Bogner cab maintains that same sweetness no matter what amp you push through it...A Peavey 5150 II, which to my ears is the perfect blend of 6L6 and Marshall tone there is, sounds AWESOME through the Bogner cab w/V30's. Bro...I'm not trying to tout about and jam the Bogner in your face...I've just been through ALOT of gear and am trying to pass along what I've learned. I cannot voice much of an opinion about the Laney's because I've never owned one...the only artist that comes to mind of course is Sabbath and I hear, the " Marshall" side of things there.

Comment

i dont know if you're familiar with their work, but almost everything from opeth was recorded with a laney. furthermore, paul gilbert is a huge laney user (and i can assure you that one can absolutely NAIL his lead tone with a laney GH series amp)....and i think andy timmons is using laneys, too.

greets
                  fragle

Comment

allright guys, this is kind of embarrassing, but anyways....

yesterday, i gave my charvel model 3 a complete overhaul...new strings, floyd adjustment, etcetc...AND i took the cover off the j90c pickup. before those changes, the guitar sounded really muddy and weak, but now..

well, today i plugged into my stack, and BOOM. i was using the exact same settings as with my 7string, and the sound was great....mainly because there wasn't any upper mid harshness! to further prove my suspicion i dialed in a classic V on the graphic eq (a setting that is totally unusable with the 7string, because the high amount of 6600hz and 2200hz turns the sound into harsh crap) and it sounded GREAT.

so what i'm trying to say is that my cab is not responsible for the upper mid harshness, but the crap stock pickups of my sevenstring [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] so well...i'm going to get some decent pickups (finally..), and then i'll see if the cab actually needs to be replaced.

greetings
                    fragle

Comment

Pickups can make all the difference in the world, to me the biggest effect on whether I'll like a pickup is how hot it is. I've been lazy about strings before too....I hate the sound of new strings but after about a good week they tone down a little and then they are happenin'....after about 3 months of laziness though....it's just like a new guitar...I HATE the feel of a brand new guitar...they need to get a little greasy and worn in. Glad you got it worked out.

Comment

Working...
                      X