Good Practice Amp?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good Practice Amp?

As I mentioned in a previous thread, I haven't bought any gear or played much in 10 years. I'm about to buy a DK2FS to "re-learn" on, and need a cheap ($200 or less) but decent little combo amp, mainly just for practicing in the den, and/or pissing off my wife late at night. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

I looked at some Crates and a Marshall MG15DFX online, but neither seems to be very popular in this forum. I'd very much appreciate any advice on what I should get, and/or opinions on the best combo for $150-200. I'd be playing some metal/punk type stuff, but of course would like it to sound good clean as well. Thanks very much.

Re: Good Practice Amp?

I use a older Marshall Valvestate VS65R. I've heard good stuff about Peavey Bandits. Do you mind used gear? I really prefer it myself. Do you want a lot of features, or just a simple two channel amp?

Comment

I have a Roland Micro Cube that has become my favorite practice amp.Sounds good and can run on batteries when needed..........................Rev.Timmy
      Straightjacket Memories.Sedative Highs...........

Comment

I just picked up one of the new Line 6 30watt Spider II with a 12" speaker.
        Great little amp for $200 bucks!!! Good reviews too!!

David

Comment

Roland Cube 30 is a good choice.

Comment

Peavey Bandit (definitly) or the Line 6 Spider.

Some sort of Pod might be cool as well?
            You took too much, man. Too much. Too much.

Comment

I have a Peavey Audition 110..great amp for the price. My main amps are Crates BV120H..and a GFX120H.

Comment

I use a Soldano Astroverb 1x12 combo, but for something $200 or less I dunno. I have played the Line6 Spiders in stores and they sound OK, I like that better than the Peavey bandit. The Marshalls (even MG series) sound pretty decent IMO.

I would say get the Line6 since it sounds pretty decent and has neat effects and a built-in tuner function that is nice.

Comment

I second the Line 6 30 wt. Spider...awesome little amp for the cash...four channels ...a 12' celestion ..all the gain ya need...a direct out and six built in effects..and a MP3 player input and headphone jack..

not too shabby!!
                  "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
                  Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

The little Marshall Micro Stacks are very cool! [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img] Mini head with mini speaker cabinets with 10" speakers. I sold one to another member here not too long ago, and I've got a second one at my cousin's house that'll probably be for sale soon, as I've got too many amps already.
                    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

I played thru a Marshall MGDFX 50 1x12 and it sounded very good. Jack.

Comment

I really like my v-amp2 for practising at home, if you don´t mind playing with headphones that might be a good idea.

Comment

used to have a Marshall Lead 12. Small, sounded good. Depends on what size amp you want/need though. Crate's are also good.....but they aren't Marshall [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
                          www.reverbnation.com/rokhollywood

www.facebook.com/Rok Hollywood

www.facebook.com/rokhollywood2

www.facebook.com/RokHollywoodFans

Comment

Line 6 would be a great.
                            Also some Peavey combos.

Comment

How 'bout a Tech 21 Trademark 10? You might be able to pick one up used for that price.

Comment

Working...
                              X