Good Practice Amp?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Good Practice Amp?

Horns, I've been thinking about that amp for a practice amp!!! It's a pain in my balls to go, take the Mesa out of the road case, hook up the cabs (why play through 1 when you can use 2?) my wah, chorus and flange, when all I want to do is ROCK! I mean practice a little bit.

Comment

I just went through this same thing. I can't believe no one has mentioned the little (inexpensive!) VOX ADxxVT series amps. Biggest bang for the buck I have ever heard! I tried everything I could get my hands on in the up too $400-$500 range. The VOX was the best I found. I like it better than alot of tubes amps I tried as well. I ended up getting a B-stock VOX AD30VT for $200 shipped and couldn't be happier...

Comment

Thanks for all the advice. Now that my guitar has been ordered, its time to make a decision. I'm in the process of checking out all the models recommended here...

Any thoughts on a Peavey TransTube 258 EFX? Like the others I've looked at, it has several effects which I may or may not use, but it also has an optional footswitch for Clean/Lead and Effects, something I didn't see with most other models in my price range ($200).

Thanks again for the help!

Comment

Ok, keeping in mind that I haven't played in years, only have c. $200 to spend, and will be using to practice at home...if you had to choose between these 3, which would you get?

- Peavey TransTube 258 EFX, 25w ($179): http://www.peavey.com/products/shop_...2/transtub.cfm
          - Marshall MG15 DFX, 15w ($159): http://www.marshallamps.com/images/p...g/mg15dfx.html
          - Line 6 Spider II 15/30 ($159/$199): http://www.line6.com/spiderII/about.html

- The Marshall's only 15w and the next-up model (30w) is almost $100 more (out of my price range). Plus, I've read some bad things about MG series sound, reliability, etc.
          - The Peavey is 25w (still 8"), but with optional footswitch for Clean/Lead and effects, which I like. Also, I haven't seen as much bitching about the TransTubes as the others.
          - Line 6 15w is also $159, but I can get the 30w for $199. I think I can also get a footswitch with the 30. However, I've read alot of bad things about Line 6 in general, from sound and durability all the way down to cheap/loose knobs.

All come with effects; while they might be useless, I'd like to play around with them. All are small and puny and around the same price. Only the Peavey and Line 6 30 (not the 15) offer a footswitch, which I'd prefer. I've seen alot of negative feedback about the Marshall MGs and Line 6, but not much about the Peavey...opinions? Thanks again.

Comment

I have no experience with the Peavey, but based on my general like of Transtube amps for what they are, it is probably decent. As for the others, the VOX is much better than either the Marshall or Line 6. The effects are quite good on the VOX as well as the clean and distortion sounds. Do your self a favor and check the VOX before you make up your mind...

Comment

I'd investigate the Behringer Vampire too. We used a Behringer for a weekly jam at a local bar. It got pounded and abused for months and never gave up. I was impressed. It was more reliable than either of my Line6 amps I've owned.

Comment

try a roland cube I have one and love the little bastard I have the 15 watt model paid 99 bucks no complaints I think it sounds better than the Marshall mg's and valvestates
                www.myspace.com/goreality1

Comment

Working...
                X