Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who has an Alesis Drum Machine SR-16

Hello,
    I just pick one up and I'm returning it Monday. Although, I didn't find it hard to get started and going using its pre-programmed beats. What I did find that wasnt to my liking was being able to record beats quickly and easily. For example, to place a drum/cymbal on the beat was more work than necessary. In fact after writing out a beat it took me longer to get it programmed in and "right-on" that beat. (hence, probably why I need a drummer in the first place.)
    At my lesson the other day, we composed a beat on paper and, literally, in a few seconds we had the beat in his unit and were jamming along. My instructors unit has 16 buttons (4 measures) and using a shift button we were able to place each drum/cymbal right on the beat jsut by pressing one of the corresponding 16 "beat" buttons. Sooooooo easy. Happy New year.

Re: Who has an Alesis Drum Machine SR-16

So, did you get the SR-16 or your instructor has the SR-16? I'm a little confused. I've got one that I haven't used in probably 8 years or so. From what I remember it wasn't that difficult to program simple beats. In all honesty, I mainly used it as a glorified metronome which is probably why I haven't used it in so long.

Comment

My instructor has a Roland TR707, a vintage unit but excellant for programing beats due to its ease of use. I have the SR 16 and its not as easy to program beats as the vintage Roland. Not near as easy.

Comment

I used to use a TR707 back in the day - great little unit for sure. You could do a lot with it. I used to program odd-meter stuff in it and fills. They didn't sound half bad either.

I used to own an HR-16 which I think is the unit before the SR-16. I hated the HR-16 - it was very cumbersome - sounds like they carried that forward into the SR-16.

I'd go look at one of the Roland or Yamaha boxes if I were you.
        I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

Comment

I use one, but I only midi into it for the sounds. It is cumbersome to program a pattern let alone a whole song.
          "My G-Major can blow me!" - Bill

Comment

Thanks for the input.
            I found a Roland TR 707 on ebay, with ac adaptor. Should get it by friday. Too bad they dont make it anymore. Thankfully it still available.
            Yes, thats what I need it for. For programming my own beats, this way I can learn a basic idea of rhythms from a drummer point of view.

Comment

I have the Alesis SR-16, and I found it difficult to program as well. Unless I was not reading correctly on how to do it, it seemed like you needed 3 hands to hit everything correctly on time. Anyway, if I use it now, it's only to jam along to the pre-sets. They do sound pretty good, even though this unit hasn't been updated for many years. I bought mine in 2000, and I think the unit they sell today is the same one. I bought a Tama drumset recently, so I no longer have to worry about programming the Alesis. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
              Dana <~~~
              '85 Rhoads Custom
              '86 SD Str*t
              '86 Model 4 (5)
              '87 Model 1
              '87 Model 6
              '88 Model 3DR
              '90 650 XL
              '94 KE-3
              '97 DR Amberburst
              '97 Dinky BOFlames
              '05 SD Copperhead