buying a halfstack - 50W vs. 100W?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: buying a halfstack - 50W vs. 100W?

you're right, I would look like a little girl with just a 12" combo on stage! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] bet it would sound mean as hell tho' [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

Koch is made in your neck of the woods.. you might want to give them a spin also.

This sight covers some of the things discussed here.

http://www.amptone.com/index.html

Comment

I have a Single Rectifier head (50W) with a Mesa 1x12 cab. Last year I was in a band, playing out, and I never once had the volume at 12 o'clock. I think the highest I ever had it at was around 11 o'clock. So you don't NEED a 100W head, but if you find one that has the sound you like and it's a good price - why not? Ideally, find an amp with a power switch. Like the Peavey XXL (I know it's solid-state but just an example) can switch between 25-50-100 watts.
        Unleash the fury.....Texas style!

Comment

A 50w amp isn't going to be that much of a volume issue, because the power to volume output is a logarithmic equation. To get twice as much volume, you're going to have to wind up roughly squaring the power. This is why large PA systems are based off of racks of amps to power individual components, instead of monster amps that power a huge bank of speakers. I can't think of a situation where a 50w head and a 4x12 cab will be inadaquate.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
            I can't think of a situation where a 50w head and a 4x12 cab will be inadaquate.

[/ QUOTE ]
            Exactly! If you're playing a place (like outdoors maybe) where 50W isn't loud enough, you should be mic'ed anyway.
            Unleash the fury.....Texas style!

Comment

ok, thanks again fellas! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] Like I said I'm trying the Blackmore again tomorrow (if they still have it) maybe I'll make them a low bid.
              I'll let ya know how it goes!

- Rune.

Comment

ok...just got back from the testdrive:
                I really like the Blackmore but I'm not convinced by it...the lead channel sounds great and I like the countour function. The crunch channel is good for blues or maybe AC/DC but I don't play a lot of either...it's usually death metal for me.
                Actually the most impressing thing about it to me is the clean channel....most dynamic thing I've ever heard.

Sooo I think my final decision will be to get a Fireball 60W head and a 4x12 with V30's...not sure if it will be the ENGL vintage cab yet though...it's f'in expensive!! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                (but I won't make any compromises..I just know there are cheaper cabs out there with V30's in them.)

Any good suggestions? A Randall 4x12" maybe?

Comment

Holy crap! I just found out I can have TWO brand new Randall 412 V30 cabs for the price of ONE brand new ENGL 412 V30 cab...if the speakers are the same Celestions, what the hell are they putting into those boxes that are worth so much more??? [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]

Comment

Cab build quality changes things a lot IMO. I had a Carvin Legacy cab and a Mesa cab both with V30's and overall size was bigger on the MEsa for one but the sounds were very very different. I am not a big V30 guy though but cab build is a major thing IMO
                    I keep the bible in a pool of blood
                    So that none of its lies can affect me

Comment

ok, fair enough. I don't have a lot of experience with different speakers...I want the metal chug and a sweet lead tone. I don't like the harsh mids some Marshalls/cabs have. A slight mid scoop is nice (but not "and justice for all"..you get the picture)

Would you recommend maybe 25W greenbacks to be better suited to this application? [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]
                      I would have bought a G-Flex if only GB had still had a distributor in Europe [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

Comment

V30's are fine they are just not my thing... I prefer Greenbacks or G12-75's that is me many love V30's. I am just saying check out the cab and just don't buy it because of the speaker.... That was my only suggestion. Also as far as Combo's I do not like open backs so I advise against it (I like open back for blues not metal)

I just sold a Genz Benz it is a good cab but I think you might be happier with say a Mesa 4-12
                        I keep the bible in a pool of blood
                        So that none of its lies can affect me

Comment

birch ply cab vs particle board. Dovetail construction, ports.. I'm sure those are factors in Mesa.
                          Medium Density Fiberboard is ok in baffle..I replaced the baffles in a Laney 4x12 with birch laminated MDF..it really improves the sound. If you are tight on money.. that may also be an option, buy a cab with the speakers you want and replace the baffleboard if you are ok with some basic carpentry skills.

It is similar in attitude to replacing pickups or saddles in your trem or your the nut on your guitar with a different material to obtain a different sound.

Comment

Working...
                          X