Computer recording - PCI or USB?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Computer recording - PCI or USB?

I'm convinced that my sound card is f#&% up (so is m-audio tech support). I'm looking for another interface, but I'm wondering if I shouldn't switch to USB. I've heard that PCI is way better than USB, but I've never worked with a USB interface so I'm clueless about it. How bad can it be? I'm looking at an M-audio Quattro. I need 2 audio in's and two audio out's as a bare minimum plus midi in and out. I don't need SPDIF, but don't care if it's there. If I go PCI again, I'm thinking about the Echo Midimia which is almost exactly like the audiophile 24/96 I'm replacing.

Help me out here folks. I'm only using for amateur home recording. Any help or opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Happy New Year!
    "My G-Major can blow me!" - Bill

Re: Computer recording - PCI or USB?

Well, assuming that your bus speed on your computer is 133 mhz your throughput is a sustained 1 gigabit per second. To put that into perspective, a device using USB 2.0 has a "burst" not sustained throughput of 480 megabits per second. Firewire 400 has a sustained transfer speed of 400 megabits per second.
    My opinion is that even for amatuer home recording either Firewire or PCI is the way to go.

Comment

PCI bro.

Comment

Don't do USB, it's pretty crappy to get it to work with certain software sometimes.

Comment

the only way I would go for USB was if I had to use the interface on a laptop...even then I would go for firewire instead ----> what lorofgain said! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
          stick to PCI, you'll be glad.

- Rune.

Comment

Ok, I'm freakin out here. I haven't done any recording in about a month because I couldn't get my audiophile 2496 to work with my new PC. M-audio told me after a sh%$ load of trouble shooting that the card was probably bad. I was just about to pull the trigger on an Echo card on eBay and something told me to try it one more time. MY CARD IS WORKING NOW! I was screwing around with my wifes new PDA and software a week ago and the machine locked up so I opened the case and popped the battery off of the board for a minute and put it back to unlock the machine. I bet that had something to do with it. I'll have to watch it for a while to make sure it's ok.

I have another 40gig HD that I dual boot to and run Cubase on and record to a 100gig hd that I put in (thanks for the tip Rune!) Works like a charm!

Thanks for the advice guys! Look for some Mp3's from me in the Mp3 section soon!
            "My G-Major can blow me!" - Bill

Comment

Working...
            X