No announcement yet.

Calling all Mesa Boogie 50 cal owners!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Calling all Mesa Boogie 50 cal owners!

Hello all,
    As a new owner of a Mesa Boogie 50 cal. plus head I was wondering what some of you all run through yours to get that little extra umph out of them. Mind you ,I know that it's a smok'n amp as is but I do like a little more umph if you know what I mean. I've tried a Boss SD-1 and DF-2 and didn't really like either one of those. I ran my Line 6 POD through it but it covers up the sound of the amp which I don't want to do. All I want is to enhance the tone a little. I know that some of you guys own them so I'd just like to know how you like to run them. [img]/images/graemlins/help.gif[/img]

Re: Calling all Mesa Boogie 50 cal owners!

Try either a BBE in the loop or maybe a DOD 250 or YJM308 out in front.

Comment

I already tried the BBE. I forgot to mention that up top. That always made my old Marshalls chunk but I guess where this amp is already so hot it just mudded it up more then anything. Have any of you tried the Digitech Tone Driver pedal? I was looking at those. It seems to kinda be a pedal modeling other pedals, like different tube screamer models and such.

Comment

no pedals needed.
        Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

im surprised that the sd1 as a boost didnt work for you

Comment

try a GE7 or another equalizer. you could also try using two equalizers, one in front of the amp set like an inverted V to act as a midboost and another one in the loop set like a V to even get some lows and highs back in.

by the way, is it a combo or a head? if it's a combo, try using an extension cab, if it's the head, use a bigger cab or two cabs [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

greets
            fragle

Comment

It's a head. I have the matching Mesa Boogie old style 4x12 cabinet with it. I was thinking of a BOSS GE-7 or the DOD FX-40B EQ pedals to use but haven't tried it yet. Are you using one with yours? I've used both of those in the past with my old Marshalls. I'm basically just wanting a little enhancement on leads. Any more suggestions would be appreciated.

Comment

i use a mesa recto vertical 2x12 and no pedals. start off with the graphic eq off. dial in a good sound with the amount of gain you desire. volume 1 (next ot input) is your basic gain control. the Master and Lead Master will be your volume control. think like this master = output. lately i've been running my master at 6 and my lead master to desired level (2.5 - 4). (gets more power tube chrunch).

get your basic tone with eq off. then set flat and turn on. start by bringing up the high and low slider at the same time. these will fill in and gain out your sound since boogie's older tone controls lacked ultra highs and lows. once that is where you want it adjust the next inward pair. (these don't need to be moved much.) and i dont' recommend moving the middle slider anywhere. but suit yourself.

you shouldn't need anything but a chord for this amp. they sound great!
                Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

I borrowed one of the Digitech Tone Driver morphing pedals from a guy at work and tried it....very promising indeed! Whether I get one or not these are very impressive pedals. You can "morph" from a tube screamer to a OD-1 all in one pedal! Right now it's making the Mesa sing!

Comment

Wow, it's been a long time haven't heard anything about a 50 caliber in years.I kindof owned a 50 cal combo about 10 years ago(a friends amp)I use to run a ratt pedal thru it sounded ok
                    www.myspace.com/goreality1

Comment

It's a pretty smok'n amp! I was wanting a rectifier but considering they're closer to the $1000 mark and I landed this in mint condition for under 5 bills then I couldn't pass it up!

Comment

Working...
                      X