Does anyone have a Stiletto?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does anyone have a Stiletto?

Just wondering.. I have yet to play one even I saw one @ GC but didn't have time to play it...
    I keep the bible in a pool of blood
    So that none of its lies can affect me

Re: Does anyone have a Stiletto?

I played one and it really didnt impress me at all. Very typical boogie tone, even with the EL34.

Comment

Yep, Mine got here yesterday. Now granted, I am no virtuoso, but I have mine sitting on top of my Dual Rec, and I dont think it sounds anything like it. Way more british, brown tone. And the clean is much different.

Check out these clips some dude did. I really like this amp.(I have the Deuce BTW)

http://www.digitalsoundplanet.com/Vi...?userid=152371

Shawn
      Spin the black circle.

[email protected]

Comment

I tried one and thought it sucked.<PERIOD!

Comment

Played one at a local store didn't like it very old jcm 800 like but quieter
          www.myspace.com/goreality1

Comment

Do you like the amp Shawn? I'm curious to hear what you think of it. I've got a couple Dueces and Tridents in the shop right now. I like them, they kinda do everything the Dual and Triple aren't capable of doing.
            Special deals for JCF members on Jackson/Charvel, Suhr, Anderson, Nash, Splawn, Bogner, LSL, Ibanez, Diezel, Friedman, Bad Cat, 3rd Power, Dr. Z, ENGL and more. FREE SHIPPING! 0% FINANCING!

Comment

I guess it's just you and me Matt. And that doesnt say much for you....LOL

I think owning one and playing it for an extended period of time is much different than trying one briefly in a store. I think you nailed it on the head. It doesnt sound anything like a rec to me, way more british. And, you sort of have to turn this one up a little before you really get cooking.

How about that clean channel? Very nice IMHO.

Shawn
              Spin the black circle.

[email protected]

Comment

I played through one a little bit. I liked how it sounded but not enough to have me go out and buy one.

Comment

Shawn
                  Spin the black circle.

[email protected]

Comment

As a caveat to this post about liking it, I may have to sell this thing, as it really needs volume to do it justice, and for a home player, that doesnt quite cut it.

Shawn
                    Spin the black circle.

[email protected]

Comment

Yeah, we've had to crank them a bit to get them to come to life, but that's what these amps are about to begin with. They designed them to pull their tone more from the power tubes than the preamp tubes. They're almost designed to be run with some kind of an overdrive or distortion pedal for added gain. Just like... an old Marshall... Which is what the design is based on. The Stiletto is a rock amp, not a high gain metal amp.
                      Special deals for JCF members on Jackson/Charvel, Suhr, Anderson, Nash, Splawn, Bogner, LSL, Ibanez, Diezel, Friedman, Bad Cat, 3rd Power, Dr. Z, ENGL and more. FREE SHIPPING! 0% FINANCING!

Comment

Ok here is my opinion on these amps...they are good amps, but they are very British sounding and the characteristics of the EL34s are very prominent. To me it sounds like a fuller-sounding JCM 800 with a bit more gain and a nicer clean channel. I would definitely recommend it to fans of Marshalls and stuff like that, but for me, as I prefer a more saturated sound, I don't like them too much. I think they are way cool amps but I wouldn't own one.

Comment

I was not trying to trash your rig or slam what others may like...it is simply not an amp I like at all therefore would not be something I could make sound good...FOR ME. If I want that Marshall tone guess what amp I'm gonna' use....well...a Marshall or at least one based upon a Marshall anyway. It sure seems Mesa has put alot of effort into these things and they have been eagerly anticipated. Bottom line is if YOU like the feel and tone you can get with it you will make it sound good...it means jack what anybody else thinks.

Comment

Since this amp has been out I have heard a mixed bag of opinions on it which would leave me to believe that one needs to just try it out, prefereably with several different cabs to see if you like it.

Mesa users will say its Marshall sounding, Marshall bashers will say it sucks lol. I'm willing to bet if it didnt have the Mesa name on it there would be a lot more buzz about it [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Shawn, if the amp's intent was for more power tube tone then you should run it through a hotplate. Lets face it, all amps are pretty much overkill for home use but imho thats where the tone is at, 50 and 100 watt heads [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] Sound proof as much as you can, attenuate and use a real amp [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
                            shawnlutz.com

Comment

Yeah that is what I am hearing is the amp needs to be cranked. Shawn would you keep it say you had a hotplate?
                              I keep the bible in a pool of blood
                              So that none of its lies can affect me

Comment

Working...
                              X