Using pedals as clean boosts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Using pedals as clean boosts

I notice a lot of guys use overdrive pedals like a Tube Screamer or a Boss Super Overdrive into an amp like a 5150 or a Dual Rec or something as a clean boost to tighten up the sound-usually with the gain turned down and the level turned up. I was wondering if any of you guys had any real life experience with this kind of thing and how well it works.

Re: Using pedals as clean boosts

i use a boss hyper-fuzz (which has a clean boost setting) and it kills. i use rivera M/S series amps (a 100 watter and a 120 watter), but i use them with just a little amp gain (the amps have 2 gain pull functions, i only use 1).

the hyper-fuzz has hi and lo EQ, output level and gain level. i use the gain about half way up, and the level about half way up. i adjust the EQ accordingly, and i rock. one of the nice things about the boss pedal is that you can control the amount of clean boost using the gain control and it WILL NOT add any distortion. it works like an extra volume (or more like making your pickups hit the front end of the amp harder).

it tightens the sound because i'm running less preamp gain (i really like power tube distortion anyway), but it allows me to have the sustain and oomph that i want.
    GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

It works great. You can do it a few ways. For clean boost, if you use a distortion box you need to dial the distortion down and the level up. If you use a preamp you dial the gain down and the level up.
      If you put either in front of the amp and you want solo boost you need to dial the gain down on the amp. If you put leave the gain up on the amp up you will just add another stage of gain by adding a pedal in front of it. You can put either one of these types of pedals in the effects loop for solo boost but make sure you dial the gain (or distortion) down on the pedals. The gain on the amp can stay up. Here are a few pedals I use with great results:
      DOD 250
      DOD YJM308
      TS5,TS9 Tube Screamers
      DOD FX51 Juice Box
      Twisteramps custom preamp
      Proco Vintage Rat
      Boss GE7 (it has a preamp in it)
      DOD FX10 Bifet preamp
      Boss SD-1
      Boss DS-1
      Boss Metal Zone
      MXR Micro Amp
      As you can see, there are many pedals that work great. My favorites are the FX51 Juice Box and the Twisteramps Preamp.

Comment

Hey JG do you ever use this method with your MTS?

Comment

Yes. I use the FX51 Juice Box or the Twisteramps pedal in front. They both work great. I feel the MTS3200 has plenty of gain alone but for extra oomph and sustain for solo's I click on one of the pedals and slam my preamp tubes. I dial up just enough gain to add a little extra to the already fantastic high gain that the MTS gives me. I always keep a DE7 digital delay and a DOD 250 in the effects loop too. One is obviously for delay and is always on and the DOD 250 is for solo boost only and makes my MTS a 3 channel amp. I also used a DOD FX10 Bifet preamp for solo boost in the loop for many years. It is a completely transparent boost and when in the loop is only increases the volume of the amp.

Comment

I am really not happy with my MTS, and that is kinda why I started this thread. I think it has enough gain but the saturation that Im after isnt there. Would 6L6s make a big difference?

Comment

No, 6L6's won't do it. EL34's with a rebias on the hot side might be what you are looking for but I would try this first.
              My suggestion would be to try a preamp pedal in front of the amp. Here is how I would do it:
              1. Dial up the desired gain on the MTS without the pedal
              2. Insert the pedal in front of the amp (in between the guitar and the amp).
              3. Dial up the level and the gain on the pedal so that it almost is transparent when you click it on.
              4. Start adding gain in very small increments until you get the desired saturation. You may need to dial down the level on the pedal when you dial up the gain. I usually dial the gain down on the MTS3200 to around 7 when I have a preamp pedal in front of it.
              Try a DOD YJM308, a Tube Screamer or a DOD Juice Box. Make sure if you are using a distortion box that you use very little distortion (around 2 or 3) and lots of volume (level).Dial up the distortion level in small increments. Too much will overdrive your amp and add noise, hiss and mush. If it is a preamp pedal like a YJM308 or a DOD 250 than you can start around 5 and see what happens. Either of these pedals work great for what you are looking for.

Comment

I use my EMG PA-2 onboard preamps for just that same thing. Much cleaner than most any of the units mentioned actually. Prior to that, I used my wirelesses to slam the front end of the amps.

Works best with tube amps that don't have solid state front ends.

Comment

Hey, how did you get Pete to make a pedal for you? I'm thinking of getting an OD pedal, but I'd rather give him my $$$ than some huge company.

Comment

The DOD Juice Box rules!!! [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]
                    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Okay, here's one thing I'm trying to understand. You're only using clean boosts if you've got a one channel amp, correct? As I understand it, you're trying to roll back your guitar's volume control to clean up, but the amount of volume dies a little bit and needs a level boost from the stompbox. Correct?

I'm not really in the know about these things, as I've been playing a two-channel amp and floor processor all my electric guitar playing life. Sorry. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

But any info you can provide is always helpful and very appreciated... I love talking guitar and learning about guitar. [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                        You're only using clean boosts if you've got a one channel amp, correct? As I understand it, you're trying to roll back your guitar's volume control to clean up, but the amount of volume dies a little bit and needs a level boost from the stompbox. Correct?

[/ QUOTE ]

Myself, I basically use clean boost to slam the front end of tube amp to give a more defined sound, with more bite and more crunch or edge without actually using a distortion pedal.

I don't turn down tha guitar volume or anything like that. I would "generally" turn the boost off or roll back the guitar volume when going to a clean channel though.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                          [ QUOTE ]
                          You're only using clean boosts if you've got a one channel amp, correct? As I understand it, you're trying to roll back your guitar's volume control to clean up, but the amount of volume dies a little bit and needs a level boost from the stompbox. Correct?

[/ QUOTE ]

Myself, I basically use clean boost to slam the front end of tube amp to give a more defined sound, with more bite and more crunch or edge without actually using a distortion pedal.

I don't turn down tha guitar volume or anything like that. I would "generally" turn the boost off or roll back the guitar volume when going to a clean channel though.

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly..

Comment

Oops, here I am thinking that you're all trying to boost the volume of your clean tone to match that on your dirty tone... I am a dumbass... [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] I know what you're all talking about now, it just didn't register with me when I first read this topic... [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Carry on folks, nothing more to see here from me... [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

Im running a Boss SD-1 Super Overdrive into a JCM 800 combo.

It smokes [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Only problem is its a little noisy. Oh well. The SD-1 was only $40. and I have a mod instuction that I will perform sometime, that will quiet it down, make it smoother and less harsh, and give it more bass response and balls.

Comment

Working...
                              X