Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Laney MDX 120 twin - or whatever Laney

Guys,

There is a guy selling me one of these for a good price and I want to know if anyone tried it. How are Laneys in general?...

Re: Laney MDX 120 twin - or whatever Laney

Their tube amps are sort of Marshall-like, but is the one you're getting tube or solid-state, or hybrid (preamp tube)?
    Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

yes, the all-tube laneys have a distinct british flavour. i think of them as marshall jcm800s with twice the gain, more bass, and a more scooped feel. you won't get real marshall tones out of them, though, at least not without outboard processing.

build quality and reliability is fine, too. not even close to soldano etc. , but certainly better than newer marshalls.

Comment

This thing is actually a solid state amp... one of their newer ones... the guy is asking like $300 for it.

Comment

umm..well...i guess i know the amp you're talking about. while I didn't play one, i heard some guy demoing one, and well....if i were you i wouldn't buy it.
          just think about it. used laney TUBE heads (GH series) usually go for like 350$, and they sound WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY better than those solid state amps. i'm not bashing it because it's solid state, really, but for like 50$ more you can get a WAY better tone, trust me.

greets
          fragle

Comment

Thanks Fragle. I will take your advise.

Comment

I've been using a VH100R (all valve head) for a few years now, and it's grand.... even compared to the other guitarists I've played with (who always had Dual Rectifiers for some reason), it stands up pretty damn well. And for costing 1/3 of a Mesa, that's not too shabby.

I didn't like the Laney 4x12's though - far too harsh sounding. I got a couple of 1960B's and it's great now... [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

I know a couple of guys with TF series combos, and generally speaking, they're fine for a practice amp, but I wouldn't fancy playing through one live... [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Cheers,
              Steve.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                This thing is actually a solid state amp... one of their newer ones... the guy is asking like $300 for it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think I paid $300 for my used all-tube GH50L
                which was in beautiful condition and sounds great.
                You should be able to get a tube Laney for what they're
                asking for a tranny...

theo

Comment

Working...
                X