tube amp suggestions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tube amp suggestions

Figure about 1k max to spend. I already have a hot rod deville 410 so I could care less about cleans, this one would only be for hard rock to metal, but mostly metal. Combo or head plus cab I don't really care. I could also care less about looks. I'm not gigging yet, but should be soon, so wattage is a factor. I heard here about 5150s on clearence form musicians friend, but checked th website and couldn't find them. Thanks for the suggestions.

Re: tube amp suggestions

Wattage isn't really a factor - 50 watts (or even 20) or more should work for overdrive. I'd probably look into a used Soldano Avenger or Hot rod series amp, or possibly a VHT if you could find one reasonably priced. Boogies are cool, but a little overdone, at least in my part of the world. Everything here is Marshall or Boogie... I'm taking my Soldano HR50+ as a backup to the gig tonight, and will probably get some dilweed telling me to sell it and get a real amp, like a Marshall or Peavey.

Pete

Comment

Soldano Hot Rod 50
      VHT Pitbull 50 CL/EQ
      JCM800 2203 or 2204
      Mesa/Boogie Mark IV
      Mesa/Boogie DC-5
      shawnlutz.com

Comment

i second the soldano hot rod as well as the jcm800. the peavey 5150 (umm...i meant 6505 [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] ) is a great amp for the money, too. a used mark III head should also fall into your price range, and those are great amps.

it would help us a lot if you named some sounds you like, because there are a lot of good amps under 1000$ and most of them sound very different from each other.

greets
        fragle

Comment

I really, really like the Marshall Jubilee I borrowed from another band. I haven't played my newly acquired Laney AOR100 enough to say whether I like it better, but it's a good head. Tried an SLO 100 for a few minutes, and it was awesome!

Comment

5150 II's just went to 750 with cabs for 500. I fortunately got the last cabinet and one of the few heads. They said after I ordered that one, they didn't haveand weren't getting any more due to the discontinuation. 5150's are it for me, no Marshall or Mesa compares IMHO.
            Check my Jackson themed Myspace page, hear some good metal, and check out a little shred fest by me.

http://www.myspace.com/joblo1978

Comment

If you like the 5150, but want more versatility, get a Triple XXX. Clean, crunch, and ultra channels, each with their own tone and volume controls. I've got one and I love it. The ultra channel is absolutely brutal, and the crunch channel is warm and musical. I know you're not worried about cleans, but the clean channel doesn't go through the tube preamp, so it is dead clean with no breakup.

Comment

Engl all the way!

Comment

noodles: umm....the last time i checked the XXX and 5150 out they didn't sound very similar at all...at least to my ears. i totally agree with everything else, though. the clean is indeed very clean, the ultra is indeed very brutal, and the crunch channel is hot as hell [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img] they should have named the channels lead and ultra, because the crunch channel has an insane amount of gain.

Comment

For under a grand, I would say a used Mesa Single Recto head (love mine) or the XXX is awesome too. I haven't played through a 5150 yet. Personally, I don't like Marshalls.
                    Unleash the fury.....Texas style!

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                      Engl all the way!

[/ QUOTE ]

Good call. He can get a Thunder 50 for about $750. Of course, that will make me jealous...

Comment

I love my Soldano Astroverb. The head I think is only like $750 brand new if you prefer new gear.

Comment

With a grand I'd try to find a VHT50CL, there usually a bit more but maybe an amp w/ some tolex scars or something.

5150II

I know they are not everybodys favorite choice but I dig the TSL's, (not the DSL), and they can be had used for under a grand....I think they are cool...Maiden to the tee!

Comment

Mesa F series. I love my F-30 1x12 combo! I think I want to get the head version, too. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
                            I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

ok, don't laugh...well hell, I don't really care if you do. I like my Crate BV120H..awesome.

Comment

Working...
                              X