Detail your live rigs please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Detail your live rigs please

Here's what I run live - what are the rest of you guys using, and could ya detail your setups? I'm curious how complex some of us are getting live. I use a Vetta head, and one or two 4x12 cabs depending on how much room I have onstage. I mic one or two speakers on the cabs and run that to the PA to fill the sound out. Other than the Vetta, I use nothing else but a footswitch, cab and wireless. Oh yeah, and guitars. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

My footcontroller is a cheapo Behringer FCB1010 that I programmed to work with the Vetta. Footswitch has two rows of 5 buttons, marked 1-10. And two 'volume' type pedals. and a bank up/down to the side of the 10 buttons. The two volume type pedals are always set up to be a volume control and a wah.

I have mine set up for 1-5 to change channels on the Vetta. 10 is ALWAYS tap tempo, 9 always turns the delay on, and 8 is always a 2db lead boost. Following are the 5 main 'amp patches' I use:

***patch 1*****

'65 fender twin blackface left, jazz chorus 120 right with stereo chorus, and a little reverb. Top 6 buttons are set up to turn off/on effects as follows:

6 - short delay, I use this to for the little trem part in jaded by aerosmith. I hate tremolo though, so I use this instead. Sounds fine.

7- turns on a fuzz face pedal if I want to do some overdrive stuff that has a different feel/flavor than the amps below.

***patch 2***

two JCM800s in stereo w/reverb. This is my classic rock overdrive tone. 8,9, and 10 are as above (and same on all patches below). 6 and 7 change the following:

6 - Vetta juice pedal to boost it for solos

7 - flanger

***patch 3****

Dual recto on one side, Vetta's version of the pod 2.0's recto on the other. has some EQ to take some mud out, and reverb and a little bit of boost. This is my general 'rock' overdrive tone.

6- tube screamer

7- flanger

****patch 4******

5150 left, SLO right, reverb, and slight pitch shift to give it a thicker sound. This is my 'satriani' patch.

6 - tube screamer

7 - flanger

****patch 5*****

Bogner Uber/Uber, reverb and slight eq This is my slightly scooped modern tone.

6 - Dynacomp compressor w/treble boost to add some bite for solos

7 - Flanger

So, if I wanted a classic rock tone, I hit footswitch 2, and can hit 6 for a boost, 7 for flange, 8 for a solo volume boost, 9 for delay and 10 to tap in delay times.

I know it sounds kinda overcomplicated, but it's easy to use and gives me a ton of flexibility. I don't use a lot of chorus other than for clean tones because I don't like em that much for overdrives. I use the flanger on stuff like bark at the moon and the tapping part on satch boogie... and when I just feel like being obnoxious.

Scary thing is, I can set this up in under 5 minutes, and the vetta includes a tuner even. I can set up faster than some bass players. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Pete

Oh yeah, right now for guitars I'm using a '95 Charvel USA strat, Peavey USA wolfgang special flametop, 80s Mighty Mite single humbucker parts strat a friend built, and an Ibanez 540R w/maple fingerboard.

Re: Detail your live rigs please

ENGL Powerball through a Marshall 1960A cab. I use the "Low Gain" setting on channel 2 with the dials somewhere around 12:00 for my rhythm tone. "Hi Gain" is reserved for soloing and I use the clean channel every once in a while for my performances.

My ENGL sits atop a 2 space rack containing a Furman Power Conditioner and a Rocktron Hush IIXC, which I have set just right so that it doesn't alter my tone but helps me keep feedback under control 100% (despite this I still use my knobs to kill my volume when I need it).

On the floor I usually have the standard BOSS Stompbox Tuner with the ENGL Z5 footswitch.

The full chain consists of
    Guitar -> Tuner -> Hush -> ENGL

Main guitar is a Jackson RR1T (tuned down a full step), and then whatever other guitar I have tuned down (right now it is a CS Reverse H/S Soloist) as a backup.

Comment

Guitar->Engl Fireball->Marshall 1960A

Comment

5 minutes!? Pete, you are the man, it takes me 10 minutes to wrassle my 4x12 out of the truck and get it to the stage! I can't imagine running two 4x12 cabs. Maybe I am getting old. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

I have a couple ways to go. Both are very reliable, straightforward, easy to set up, operate, and troubleshoot.

Main Guitar: 82 Charvel strat
        Backup Guitar: Charvel/GMW strat ->

Monster 12' "Rock" ->

Pedalboard wired with George L's:
        3/4" plywood with Krylon flat black finish
        Fulltone CLYDE wah (over used) [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
        Fulltone Choralflange (occasionally used)
        MXR DynaComp (seldom used)
        A/B box A: to amp B: to Boss tuner on p-board (silent)
        Boger 5 switch amp controller
        Voodoo Pedal Power

Monster 12' "Rock" ->

Bogner 100B

Red channel - 60% gain (still smokin' at 60%)
        Blue channel - 40% gain (think unmodded 2203)
        Green channel - crystal clean

Ever changing delay/reverb unit sometimes in the loop (switched in and out by the amp controller on the p-board)

8 Gauge "Fat Max" speaker cable 3' ->

Marshall 4x12 B cab with 25Watt Greenbacks

SM57 to the PA

This is the rig I use with the "juke box" cover band doing A-Z kind of music.

If I go somewhere to jam, sit in, or play in a band that is doing the metal/rock thing I take my three-component rig (and favorite one of all):

Charvel -> Soldano SLO100 -> Marshall 4x12
        www.sandimascharvel.com

Comment

My Church "rig":

Jackson SLATQH/Wolfgang Special => Twisteramps Modded SD-1 =>TC Elec. Chorus/Flanger => Top Hat Club Royale 1 x 12

Comment

Pete, have you gigged yet with that Soldano HR50+?

Comment

I haven't actually played anything live yet, but the setup will be this:

Jackson SL1 - tuner pedal - Soldano Astroverb 1x12 either mic to PA or running a 4x12

An SL3 will be the backup, and I plan to switch the middle pickup of the SL3 with the neck pickup of the SL1 so both guitars are JB - Classic Stack - Hot Rails. They're also most likely getting EMG Afterburners in the place of the tone pots for any sort of boost I might want.

Comment

Here's what I played live in my last band.

2 US Jackson's...1 hardtail, 1 OFR
                Furman AR-1215 line volt. reg
                Engl Fireball Head, CH 2 "Ultra Gain"
                Mesa Recto 4X12 with V30's

For a short time I was using the Rocktron Guitar Silencer...but I really didn't need it...
                We always used the previous band's PA and mic'd the bass drum and the cabs...
                I have that mind set to keep it simple...the rack stays at home...it was a nice setup and quick. I had an ATA head/3 space rack case, but never got a chance to use it...I don't see me having the time for another band anytime soon so I'll probably have to get rid of it...

- Joel
                RIP Donny Swanstrom...JCF bro
                RIP Dime

Comment

mine would be similar to Brets if I were gigging right now.

It would be somthing like

Guitar (flavor of the moment)---> Voodoo Labs Amp selector---> to a Bogner 101B and a VHT Pitbull 50/CL. I'd run a G-major through the loop of the Bogner for clean chorus/flanging only and a pedalboard (SD-1, GE7, delay, tuner, wah etc) in the the loop of the VHT if I needed it. I'd use 2 4x12's with a SM-57 on each of them. If a bigger venu and more set-up time I'd bring another couple 4x12's and maybe a 3rd amp [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] I use George L's for everything except speaker cable from theh eads to the cabs.

I was never into complex set-ups and want to keep the tap dancing on footswitches and effects down to either channel switching, boost or amp switching. One thing the irks me is over use of effects live!
                  shawnlutz.com

Comment

I have 2 live rigs:

#1.

1987 Marshall JCM800 #2210
                    Peavey 4 x 12 cab loaded with 25w Scorpions
                    Ibanez DD7 delay and Twisteramps preamp in the loop.
                    DOD FX51 Juice Box, Morley Bad Horsie 2 Contour wah, CH-2 Super Chorus and a Boss TU-2 tuner in front.

#2.

Carvin MTS3200 head
                    Randall 2 x 12 slant cab loaded with Altec Lansing 300w whiteframe speakers
                    Ibanez DD7 delay and Twisteramps preamp in the loop.
                    DOD FX51 Juice Box, Morley Bad Horsie 2 Contour wah, Boss CH-2 Super Chorus and a Boss TU-2 tuner in front.

Although both of these amps have great line outs I prefer to mic them center with an Shure SM57.
                    I use stock conquest and whirlwind cords and Ibanez guitars. I really need to upgrade my cords.

Comment

2 Laney PL100 heads through a Laney 4x12. One head runs the cab, the other one is a dedicated head for an S.Talker talkbox. The talkbox is always on, and I switch between the heads with a Boss AB-2 switcher. (Is it me, or are there a billion A/B/Y boxes, and hardly any A/B boxes??) On the floor is just the Laney channel switching footswitch and a Boss chorus. Nice and simple!

Although lately....

I've been working with the Behringer V-Ampire halfstack. (That just sent a collective shudder through the entire JCF) I really like the ability to dial in presets, and once I can figure out how to program that damn FC1010 midi controller (how'd ya do it Pete?) I may put the Laneys into retirement for awhile.

Guitar-wise I've been using my old "fractured mirror" Ibanez Iceman, GMP V, GMP doublecut, and Hades Sabre'.

Comment

here's a diagram of my rig:

a couple of things have changed since that was created. i've dropped the hyperfuzz pedal and added a phase pedal. so the front end goes like this now:

guitar-->vox wah-->digitech hyper phase-->amp

in the effects loop of the S120, i've taken out the ibanez PQ-9, the zoom is still in RTN B.

the mesa classic 1x12 has been replaced with a Rivera c-210 cab.

i use 8 different guitars onstage:
                        jackson: SL-1, SLSMG (dropped D), FIREBIRD, DK-1.
                        charvel: SURFCASTER, 95 SD reissue "strat"
                        agile: LP copy
                        hamer: flying V
                        GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

For the last few gigs, I've been using a my Charvel 375 (Model 4 as a backup) straight into a Jubilee head pushing a JCM-800 212 cab with Vintage 30s.

When my gear is fully repaired, I'll be using the same guitars into a Tubescreamer and a Laney AOR pushing a rather generic 212 Crate cab with unidentified Celestions speakers; I'm going to experiment with an MXR NoiseGate in the effects loop. I'd like to get a different OD and a decent wah, too.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                            5 minutes!? Pete, you are the man, it takes me 10 minutes to wrassle my 4x12 out of the truck and get it to the stage! I can't imagine running two 4x12 cabs. Maybe I am getting old. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, I did forget to mention that our drummer usually sets up the PA and my cabinets before I even get there... I just put the Vetta on top of one of the cabs and start hooking stuff up. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Pete

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                              Pete, have you gigged yet with that Soldano HR50+?

[/ QUOTE ]

Haven't gigged with it, but I've used it for a few rehearsals. The real deal breaker for me on the Soldano is that my wireless sounds AWFUL with it, and the wireless sounds fine through the Vetta.

Plus if I used the soldano live, I'd have to have quite a few fx in the loop to get the same tones as I do with the Vetta. It looks like I have a line on a Pod XT Live for backup to the Vetta... not sure if I'm keeping the hotrod or not. I may sell it later on, add a few bucks and get an SLO - the one I played recently impressed me mightily.

Pete

Comment

Working...
                              X