Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pickup Suggestions

Hey all,

Dunno if this belongs here, but if it's in the wrong place, admins please kick it to the right place. I've currently got a JB in the bridge of my guitar with a poplar body. It's a great rock n roll pickup to me, but I want something with a little more balls to it. Deciding on either the Duncan Distortion or the Dimebucker. Can anyone tell me which is hotter? Gonna have buy myself a nice EQ to kill the buzz I might get, but want a pickup with some more high end to pull off some of these killer whammy screams. I've got em nice with the JB, but a little more will make it feel right for me. Thanks for any help, any other pickup suggestions would be cool too. I'll try actives in another guitar and for this one I prefer passives. Thanks fellas.

- Irfaan -

Re: Pickup Suggestions

you should get yourself a real bill lawrence xl500 or 500xl what ever they are called. that is what you're looking for based on you post IMO. (and what the dime bucker is based off of) i had one in my avenger (chavel rhoads shape in polar) that i sold to jgcable. it really brought the guitar to life.

but in all actuality you really need an APC persauder lead. hehheh.
    Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

Dude, I saw that 14 page thread and was interested. I gotta re-read it again and see what those APC's sound like. Lotta those dudes kinda had an idea and the thread was on buyin em. Thanks for the advice though. I'll check into it

Comment

I know this doesn't add anything but I try and try different pickups only to realize further how much I like the JB.

Comment

Can't vouch for the Dimebucker as I've never used it (although I've heard really good things about it). But the Distortion should give you what you need with no trouble at all. It is by far my personal favorite.

Comment

The Custom is pretty good too. I was looking for something hot, and the custom really does it for me.
            Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

Very cool, thanks fellas. I've heard a lot of great things about the custom on these boards too, lotta guys here seem to like it. Gotta figure out how to try these pickups out, most guitars don't come stock with a Lawrence or the Distortion (from what I know of at least). It's usually all about the JB. Gonna go through em one by one like Tooling suggested I guess. More fun that way anyway. Thanks again guys.

- Irfaan -

Comment

I have been thru a ton of JB`s and have only like 1 of them. That being said, I agree with the others here that the BL 500XL and the Duncan Distortion are very similar. I have them both in similar guitars, and only hear a slight difference between the 2 of them, both high output, great bass and great pinch harmonics. The nice thing about the BL 500 is the price and it can be used in any application, Ttem spaced or not as it has the rail pole peices. Jack.

Comment

DiMarzio X2N! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
                  I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

I actually put the X2N in my friend's Explorer. It's a great pickup, but I'm saving that for another project I wanna work on later. I think I might go with the BL L500XL. Kinda sounds like what I want. BTW, did Bill and his partner go beak off from each other? I think I ran across 2 guys making the same thing, but I questioned myself and am now confused, lol.

- Irfaan -

Comment

Yeah, there's some fake/imitations being made by Bill's old partner, I believe. These imitations were the ones used in some old Jacksons.
                      If you want the real ones, get them from Bill and his wife, Becky. http://www.billlawrence.com/
                      I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

I noticed the other ones on www.billlawrenceusa.com were like $10 more. Just makin sure. Thanks dude

Comment

Working...
                        X