opinions and ifo.......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• opinions and ifo.......

Among other ideas, I am thinking about selling my DSL50 and getting a El84 20\20 and a Jmp 1.

Will the 2 watt power amp be to loud for an apartment and how do the preamps sound.

Any suggestions would be helpful and appreciated, but keep in mind that I would have to sell the DSl to finance whatever I get . Also I like the tone I get from my DSL when Cranked, so I don't want anything that is gonna sound like a rectifier , you get the idea.

I need it to sound close to the DSL, but at LOW Volume.
    Madness Reigns......... In the Hall of the Mountain King!

Re: opinions and ifo.......

Personally, if you were to be contemplating that. I'd look to Line 6 products. I'm not a fan of Line 6, but that should tell you what I think of the Marshall JMP-1.

If you do get the JMP-1, look for a MESA 20/20. It smokes the Marshall.

Just doing this as you aren't planning on playing in a band anymore and being at low volumes? Look at the line 6 amps.

Comment

The 20 Mesa dyna-watts the 20/20 has certainly would be loud enough for home use. I don't know if it would be for a band with a loud drummer though

If you like the tone of your current amp, you could try an attenuator such s a THD Hotplate.
      shawnlutz.com

Comment

Well I have a 20-watt Soldano 1x12 and it sounds good at low volumes, but to get that cranked sound it has to be way too lound for an apartment IMO. If you want something that's tube and want power tube distortion at apartment levels I would say you're looking for like 5 watts or less.

Comment

You're gonna have to fix that DSL before you sell it though, so you may not realize enough cash to make the switch. I'd take it to a tech sooner rather than later, as your buddy dropping the amp may have loosened something that could cause more problems if you let it go. Spend a couple hundred now, or maybe have the thing blow to the point you can't get any money out of it and have to start from scratch. Your choice.

For an apartment-level amp, period, Bill seems to like the Line6 Spider 30-watt 1x12" combo he bought for his son. They're only $199, you may want to check one out if it's for home use only. If you like the DSL's distortion that is a solid-state distortion device, not the amp's tubes, anyway.
          Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

Like I said, get the Line 6.... [img]/images/graemlins/stupid.gif[/img]

Comment

Rich,

Why is it then that the amp sounds like crap until it is cranked to at least 3. I am under the asumption that a tube head gets it's distortion charecter from the cranked tubes.

I am gonna get it fixed, after some serious thought, I don't really want to get rid of it case I had a lot done to it and It's RED and I always wanted a red Marshall head and now I have one [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Seriously, I think I'm just gonna get some kind of a distrtion pedal that sounds decent and run it with the DSL clean channel. I figure that's gotta be close to using some solid state amp and it will be a lot cheaper, p;us if I ever do play out again I will have the DSL.

NOw for my next ? and I'm gonna start another thread about htis but...

Recomend me a distortion pedal. When I was younger I loved the Boss Ds-1, and now I am interested in hearing a RAT and the new Marshlol Guvner Plus.
              Madness Reigns......... In the Hall of the Mountain King!

Comment

Working...
              X