Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good recording mic?

new to recording
    whats something good and inexpensive that i can get to mic my peavey XXL/ultra rig to record in a roland digital multitrack and my PC? also whats the best method for mic placement to eliminate some of the "boominess" you get

thanx

Re: Good recording mic?

Check Newc's home recording articles HERE
    There's a good chance all your answers could be there.

Comment

Shure SM57. To get rid of boominess roll off the low end. The easiest way is to use a low cut, whose symbol looks sort of like this: _/-

Comment

[img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Comment

For loud cabinets, the Sennheiser MD421 is also a good mic. It's a dynamic cardiod built mainly for drum use, so it also works great for loud guitar rigs. People have also used them on vocals, saxophones, and many other instruments with great success. Musiciansfriend sells them for $350, which isn't such a bad price for such a kick ass mic.

Comment

What Ninja said.MD421 is a really great mic!
            Still the sm57 is a standard and it's much more cheap.If you have to record at low volume I would suggest to use also some cheap large diaphram condenser mic like studio project b1 or audio technica 3035.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
              If you have to record at low volume I would suggest to use also some cheap large diaphram condenser mic like studio project b1 or audio technica 3035.

[/ QUOTE ]
              Many studio engineers consider this the best way to record guitars. I'm going to invest in a tube combo or head with a 1x12 cab, an isolation cab, and a condenser. I'm thinking about getting a Shure KSM32, mainly for vocal work, but also for micing the quiet cab. They're about $500.

Comment

Condensers are good for low volume,but imo the best thing is to crank the sh!t out of the amp with a good old 57 in front of it off axis.

Comment

sounds good so far
                  thanx for the advice
                  cranking the amp really isnt a problem for me.........i will look into the mics mentioned
                  thanx
                  also gonna look into the alesis compressor that Newc mentioned in his instructions

Comment

Working...
                  X