The Downfall of Line 6?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: No More Pissing Matches...

I'd rather have one kick ass amp tone than a hundred okay tones.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/images/graemlins/notworthy.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/notworthy.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/notworthy.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/notworthy.gif[/img]

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
        For me having a Vetta would be like owning a swiss army knife when what you really need is an ax.

[/ QUOTE ]

Get right to the point, dontcha? [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That’s perfect if you’re doing all original work, but 1 sound wont work for a band doing 40+ cover tunes.

Its ALL subjective folks - stop arguing about meaningless non-sense! I guess some people just enjoy hearing themselves bitch and moan.

Why hasn’t this thread been locked yet?

Comment

This thread should not be locked because of the debate. It should be locked because the exact same people had the exact same debate and said the exact same things a couple months ago. "Brilliant!"
            www.sandimascharvel.com

Comment

It was longer than a couple of months ago, wasn't it? [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Pete

Comment

Re: The Downfall of Line 6?

[ QUOTE ]
                You can stand behind the Vetta all day long, but I hope no one here is endorsing the VeryAss(variax). Those things SUCK. No matter what is claims to sound like, that is one ugly crappy guitar that plays like a Hondo left out in the garage for 20 years.

[/ QUOTE ]

OK .. here's MY vairax.. BTW it will be painted by Sully in a Yankees suck motif

Don't worry - I'll smack her if it comes to that. You do not sell guitars to buy shoes. You skimp on food to buy shoes! ~Mrs Tekky 06-03-08~

Comment

Re: The Downfall of Line 6?

I love this board.

Comment

I think the Vetta II's power section is fine as-is but I also think that's because the role of the power section of a modeling amp is more like the power section of a PA or home stereo than that of a traditional guitar amp (particularly a tube amp). I'd think that the ideal power section (and cab) for a modeling amp would have perfectly flat response and add as little color as possible to the sound of the models which is, of course, quite different from the role of a power section of a tube amp where the power section is responsible for much of the amp's character.

If the Vetta doesn't seem responsive enough to some folks I'd have to think that the problem would best be corrected in the models rather than the power section. Accordingly the first changes I'd like to see to the Vetta would be tweaks of the DI options and the current models. I kind of wonder if some of the folks complaining about it might not be people who've tried one in a shop using the factory patches and/or folks who've only played one at fairly low volume. The factory patches are OK but they don't really show off what the amp can do and playing at low volume will rob any amp of the "feel" we all desire.

For the next generation I'd like to see modular amp models in which you can choose particular tubes, preamp sections, and power amp sections. I'd also like to see infinite routing options ala the original Digitech GSP 2101s in which you could incorporate software multiplexers & mixers to split the signal chain in an infinite variety of ways.

As for the idea that there are no good sounds to be had in the Vetta: Pete already mentioned that there are 74 amp models (2 of which may be used simultaneously), there are also 28 cab models & 7 microphone options. That's 74 x 74 x 28 x 7 = 1,073,296 basic tonal starting points before you even begin to dial in the sound or add effects. If none of those basic tones do it for you you can always add one of the 5 compressors and/or 8 distortion stompboxes bringing the total available tonal starting points to 5 x 8 x 1,073,296 = 42,931,840 before you even begin to dial the sound in (and this is before you consider stacking multiples of anything, applying different comps/distortions to each amp model, etc.) With around 43 million places to start looking for a tone I have a tough time believing that the critics have sufficiently exhausted the possibilities to the point that they can say with any certainty that there's nothing good to be had in there.

But therein lies the biggest problem with the Vetta: there's just too much stuff in there for lots of people to deal with. That makes it very easy to turn on so many things that you wind up with a cheesy, dead, lifeless sound.
                    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam!

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                      "Fact No.2 - Tone is in your hands, not in your gear."

You obviously never played a Harmony brand Walmart strat through a Gorilla amp. Serious tone bro.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually my first rig was a white Arbor? sp. strat and a Gorilla GG50 with a Rat Proco pedal, so yes I would know [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                        This thread should not be locked because of the debate. It should be locked because the exact same people had the exact same debate and said the exact same things a couple months ago. "Brilliant!"

[/ QUOTE ]

MOOOOM! Cleve and Pete are fighting again!!!! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                          [ QUOTE ]
                          "Fact No.2 - Tone is in your hands, not in your gear."

You obviously never played a Harmony brand Walmart strat through a Gorilla amp. Serious tone bro.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually my first rig was a white Arbor? sp. strat and a Gorilla GG50 with a Rat Proco pedal, so yes I would know [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Now that is a killer rig!! [img]/images/graemlins/notworthy.gif[/img]

Comment

Goddamnit!! I will go to the grave swinging my VHT by it's fuckin' power cord before I give in to this modeling bullshit!!

Comment

While you're swinging the VHT, my Mesa and I will be right behind you.

For shits and giggles today...I ran my Line 6 through the Direct out into the board, into a 2000 watt amp and it sounded like assholes... needs more nuts. I'm not saying a modelling amp can't be good, but hell, my amp is fine [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

You better watch out back there buddy, my VHT weighs 58 lbs and that power cord is only held on by a three prong connector. Maybe you should keep a little space between us. But I get your point!!

Comment

Working...
                                X