Twisteramps and Sully need opinion.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Twisteramps and Sully need opinion.

Since I know both of you loved the Soldano Avenger I was wondering what your opinion of it would be for an amp used in small rooms? Do you really have to crank it up to get a good tone? And did you get a chance to check the low gain input out? If so what kind of close to clean tones could be dialed into it?

Thanks,
    Chris
    We must!
    We must!
    We must increase the bust!
    The bigger the better!
    The tighter the sweater!
    The boys are counting on us!

Re: Twisteramps and Sully need opinion.

oh man, pete would be able to answer better than i would. i just liked how it sounded, he knows the nerdy info you need!
    Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
    Sully Guitars on Facebook
    Sully Guitars on Google+
    Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Man, I'd have to listen to one again. My HotRod 50+ has a similar tone, I'd have to hear them back to back to make a really good opinion. They do sound a lot alike to me, just not sure on the nuances.

The guy demo'd the amp at ear-shattering level - me and sully nearly got free haircuts he was playing so loud. He also used the low gain input, and it sounded marshally like that, didn't really sound super clean at all.

I would be curious how the avenger stands next to the hotrod series, just because they are similar and the avenger has no fx loop or frills... the hot rod series you can get channel switchers or one channels, but even the one channel ones have an fx loop I think.

I do know this: I liked the Avenger more than the Bogners (XTC, Uber, Shiva) that were there by FAR for a metal tone.

Pete

Comment

Cool thanks. Do you know if the one you heard was the 6L6 or the EL34?
        We must!
        We must!
        The bigger the better!
        The tighter the sweater!

Comment

I believe it was 5881/6L6.... I can ask the guy and find out. It was an early one, if that helps figure out what tubes it used.

Pete

Comment

i do actually have some recollections of it....
            i dunno if i remember it being hair drying loud,
            but the clean channel, well....wasn't.
            Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
            Sully Guitars on Facebook
            Sully Guitars on Google+
            Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

It's not a clean channel, it's just not as much gain! Why would anyone ever want to use a clean tone anyway? Buy an acoustic

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                It's not a clean channel, it's just not as much gain! Why would anyone ever want to use a clean tone anyway? Buy an acoustic

[/ QUOTE ]

Why thank you master of the obvious. Did you ever take any reading comprehension? First your member name doesn't ressemble Twisteramps or Sully. Secondly I said what kind of clean tones can you get from the low gain input. Note the fact that I did not say clean channel. Second post or reply of mine you have left an unwlecome reply. If I want any fukking $hit out of you I will squeeze your fukking head.
                We must!
                We must!
                The bigger the better!
                The tighter the sweater!

Comment

** that was another value-added community service announcement from thetroy.

The views expressed in thetroy's post do not necessarily reflect those of this station.
                  Hail yesterday

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Why thank you master of the obvious. Did you ever take any reading comprehension? First your member name doesn't ressemble Twisteramps or Sully. Secondly I said what kind of clean tones can you get from the low gain input. Note the fact that I did not say clean channel. Second post or reply of mine you have left an unwlecome reply. If I want any fukking $hit out of you I will squeeze your fukking head.

[/ QUOTE ]

Damn, cut the guy some slack or lay off the caffeine [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] So what? he's not Pete or Sully and misread clean input for clean channel, no need to tear him a new a$$hole.

I'm not Pete nor Sully either but I see his point about why one would want a clean sound out of a single channel semi-high gain head?
                    shawnlutz.com

Comment

And you needed to jump in because?
                      We must!
                      We must!
                      The bigger the better!
                      The tighter the sweater!

Comment

[img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/notworthy.gif[/img]
                        [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                          And you needed to jump in because?

[/ QUOTE ]

I felt like it.....if you want private messaging PM those guys then no one else will be able to jump in on your thread

you needed to be a dick to the guy because?
                          shawnlutz.com

Comment

enough of this bickering please
                            Don't worry - I'll smack her if it comes to that. You do not sell guitars to buy shoes. You skimp on food to buy shoes! ~Mrs Tekky 06-03-08~

Comment

And since it seems that you need to know Shawn. I ripped him a new one because he has a habit of adding condescending replies that add no value to the post in question. I don't need any critique about personal preference. I didn't need a wise a$$ response about not liking air travel from him when Todd and myself were exchanging posts. And I don't need an empty post about his opinion of my use of a particular amp I'm asking about. If he simply said that the amp wasn't good for any tone remotely close to clean I wouldn't have a problem. That was my question. Not a question answered with a question about why I need a clean tone. Has he even played through that amp? I doubt it. No reference in his post about his opinion of how the Avenger sounded.

And I can see I'm not the only one this has happened to from VitaminG's post. The clue in my response in the first post he replied to obviously wasn't clear enough. I figured it was. But sometimes it needs to be spelled out for certain individuals. I don't appreciate fluff posts that a few feel they need to make for no apparent reason. I don't post just for the sake of posting and criticize ones personal preference. Unless they are asking you to. Unless its a member here that I often interact with and put a wise a$$ post just because we have a habit of doing that with each other. I've never discussed anything with "thetroy" before. I certainly haven't posted any opinions I have of his personal preferences. I expect the same from him. Or any other member here for that matter that doesn't know the other. Some of us know each other. And some of us don't. Do you just walk up to a stranger and say "Hey dikhead"? I don't. Most people have enough common sense to not opinion dialog with someone they don't know by saying something that may not be welcomed. Post like his aren't going to make him many friends.
                              We must!
                              We must!
                              The bigger the better!
                              The tighter the sweater!

Comment

Working...
                              X