Twisteramps and Sully need opinion.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Twisteramps and Sully need opinion.

Have you used the yellow jackets in other amps Pete?
    We must!
    We must!
    We must increase the bust!
    The bigger the better!
    The tighter the sweater!
    The boys are counting on us!

Comment

Nope. I know some guys who have... and EL84s have a different tone than 6L6/5881s do by far. Actually, EL84s are some of my favorite power tubes, along with EL34s. I'm just not a 6L6 guy for the most part.

Pete

Comment

What kind of tonal changes should I expect if I try that?
        We must!
        We must!
        The bigger the better!
        The tighter the sweater!

Comment

Sorry to hijack your thread since you asked Pete this directly [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] but I do have them in my 83'JCM800 2203 which is a 100watt 6550 power tube version. Great amp but loud as hell so I went on a quest to tame it for home use. I bought two of the yellow jacket power reducing types (YJSD's)and JJ EL-84's. What I did in mine was pulled out all the 6550's and installed YJ's w/EL-84's in the middle 2 sockets. This knocked it down from 100 watts to about 20watts. The amp still retained the JCM type tone but now has the characteristics of EL84's. I guess if you like EL84's amps you'll like them. It added some chiminess and increase the mids. I do remember having to adjust the bass, mid and treble on the amp once I threw them in there.

The cool thing about them is they are cheap enough and reversible, if you don't like them you can try them in a different amp, they work with just about any amp - EL34, 6L6, 6V6, 6550's etc. I haven't tried them in my other amps yet as I really liked them in the Marshall so the stay [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] You can also mix and match, so if I wanted to I could throw in two 6550's and run a hybrid EL84/6550.

here is a clip of the amp with a SM57 on the cab. This is guitar straight into the amp, no pedals and raw as you can get. The clip came out too much on the treble side (due to mixing w/cheap speakers and cool sub woofer) I need to re-mix it but I never got around to it. Also I have a Soldano Hot Mod in V2 which also affects tone and about doubles the amount of gain of the 2203's.

http://shawnlutz.com/beck_lovers_marshall.mp3
          shawnlutz.com

Comment

Well I definitely like the way that sounds. Some nice playing there also Shawn. I may have to go for it. I have a Mesa 20/20 currently. So I'm definitely an EL84 fan. I just have to find the right SLO at the right price I guess.
            We must!
            We must!
            The bigger the better!
            The tighter the sweater!

Comment

I just bought a Soldano Avenger and plan on using it with a Hotplate. I'll let you know how that works out.

Comment

Cool thanks, Fritz.
                We must!
                We must!
                The bigger the better!
                The tighter the sweater!

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                  Well I definitely like the way that sounds. Some nice playing there also Shawn. I may have to go for it. I have a Mesa 20/20 currently. So I'm definitely an EL84 fan. I just have to find the right SLO at the right price I guess.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks Chris. You'll proabaly like the YJ's then. Have a happy SLO hunt [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img] If I get a new amp anytime soon the mighty SLO would be it. I haven't heard anyone say anything bad about them and the folks who have a SLO love them. I may try a HotRod 50 first though as the SLO isn't too cheap and I really don't need another amp [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
                  shawnlutz.com

Comment

I think the SLO is about 10% better than the hotrod 50 is, but it's a NICE 10%. I'll probably own one someday - for what they sell for, SLOs are a bargain in my opinion.

Pete

Comment

The Avenger I played (thru the last week)seems a bit more "Open" and alot less compressed than the HR series.it doesnt sound like My Depth Modded SLOs in any scenario (loud or low)-but is an interesting type of raw/organic overdriven Soldano tone thats not reminiscent of the SLO to my ears.I hear more dynamic attack and presence compared to the SLO-a Soldano trait(lots of "highs")-maybe the lack of an FX Loop & channel swirching capability is the reason????
                      I still prefer the SLO to the Avenger-but the Avenger is a neat 1 trick Soldano-more to MY liking than the HR series.
                      Still its hard to dial out the midrange even with the KT-66s installed and biased correctly.

Comment

Working...
                      X