Question: Marshall JCM900 4500 50watt head

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Question: Marshall JCM900 4500 50watt head

OK, I guess I have to be the one uber-negative guy on the thread... [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]

IMHO, the JCM-900 is the worst sounding tube amp Marshall has ever produced. I had one, and I was glad to get rid of it. It doesn't have the gain of a modern amp, but lacks the growl of a JCM-800. I had the SL-X model, so you can add no versatility to that list. Imagine taking everything good about Marshall and tossing it, while taking everything bad and amplifying it. That's a JCM-900. The 900 stands for "900 reasons not to buy this amp".

I've seen Peavey Ultras go on E-bay for $400. They smoke a JCM-900.

Comment

the 900's sound great as long as you dime everything except the treb and pres - turn those 2 off! and use volume to get your high end back. thats the trick to the 900's!
      Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

My 900 sounded pretty good. Not as good as my 800 of course but it did sound pretty damn good, in fact I can't remember why I got rid of it.

Comment

I tried selling a 900 on the old board, then the board rules changed mid-sale and everything fell through. Well we kept it as a spare and it still rocks. Like Cleveland said they are a good rock amp but w/o a pedal I can't see it pulling off a metal sound. From what I've been told, you can't mod the 900, or maybe it's not worth the trouble.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
            I tried selling a 900 on the old board, then the board rules changed mid-sale and everything fell through. Well we kept it as a spare and it still rocks. Like Cleveland said they are a good rock amp but w/o a pedal I can't see it pulling off a metal sound. From what I've been told, you can't mod the 900, or maybe it's not worth the trouble.

[/ QUOTE ]

The all tube SLX heads can and have been modified by Trace at Voodoo Amps.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
              [ QUOTE ]
              Whats your opinions of this amp? is there a greater liklihood that it will blow up versus other amps?

[/ QUOTE ]

WTF?!? This is a guitar amp, not a '70s Ford Pinto. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

The chances of it "exploding" should be about the same compared to most other tube amps. If you like the sound and if the price is right, get it.

[/ QUOTE ]

i heard these amps tend to blow up... nuff said?

Comment

Working...
              X