New Amp for me? or no?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Amp for me? or no?

I greatly miss my Triple Giant/VHT2150 combo. It was friggin great... Now I love my Powerball. The powerball is a little dark for me though... Just a little but has the bad ass balls that the Triple Giant lacked. The Triple Giant had such a great cut. I do tend to like the brighter amps... But man the Engl is bad ass. I do not have the unlimited funds I desire so I am kinda stuck with one amp rig... Should I just suck it up and stay witht eh Engl... Should I go back to a rack with a couple pres? Go to a Framus Cobra? Soldano SLO-1000? Help!
    I keep the bible in a pool of blood
    So that none of its lies can affect me

Re: New Amp for me? or no?

well, how long have you had the engl? i am not very up on their features, but does it have an efx loop? if so try an EQ to add some frequencies that you consider the amp to be lacking. i do know that engl's aren't cheap, so maybe you could experiment with it a little before you replace it (although i bet selling it wouldn't be too hard).
    GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

9 months on the Engl which is very long for me [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] The Engl has inherent EQ etc... I am just a gear whore...

Comment

what type of music to you play Tetsuo?
        shawnlutz.com

Comment

Mainly Thrash

Comment

Of course the SLO100 is a fantastic suggestion and kicking expensive but worth every penny! For thrash, a Mesa Dual or Triple Recto is an outstanding choice and if you want crazy death metal type thrash you can throw a Metal Zone in front of it. Ask Lurchhammer. He sent me a signal chain that involved the rectifier and the metal zone that was the heaviest sound I ever heard. My suggestion.. work with the Powerball. It is a dark amp but you can brighten and sizzle it up with an EQ or an outboard processor. A #2210 JCM800 might fit the bill too. Bright and high gain. I have one and it kills bigtime.

Comment

Oh I know I can work with it... I really wnat a Framus though he he What I think I will do is hunt down an SP77 and play that through the power section of the Engl...

Comment

If it's dark, I know Engls are a bit above the realm these are usually used for, but maybe a BBE 422A in the loop? Said to do wonders for 5150s but not for real high-end gear, maybe one would benefit the Engl? ou can get 'em for $50 to $75 off Ebay and here sometimes, so
                it wouldn't be like having to sell off this amp you like just to find out. You can always get your money back too, the 422A is the preferred one for guitar. Can't hurt, might help, cheap... what's not to like about at least trying it?
                Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

Hey Tets what kind of Thrash are you talking bro? Give me a few band name examples. I use a sp77 thru a Mesa 20/20. Love it.
                  We must!
                  We must!
                  We must increase the bust!
                  The bigger the better!
                  The tighter the sweater!
                  The boys are counting on us!

Comment

I had an SP77 I never used until I sold it to a good friend of mine And I loved it through my Engl... Only had like 2 hours with it though [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

Thrash for me would be CoB to Slayer to Metallica and Opeth but I really am not a fan of the Recto scooped sound at all.. I like my stuff bright to be honest

Comment

The 77 would be a good choice then. Something that greatly improved mine that Pete(Twisteramps) suggested was changing all the resistors from carbon film to metal film. The mud the 77 used to get after about 2 o'clock or 3 o'clock on the gain completely disappeared. You can dime the gain and it isn't flubbular. Also I used to hate how changing one tone control always seemed to change how another sounded. The metal film resistors also did away with that problem. It seems to have more gain and run a bit brighter also. My gain never goes past high noon anymore.
                      We must!
                      We must!
                      We must increase the bust!
                      The bigger the better!
                      The tighter the sweater!
                      The boys are counting on us!

Comment

Soldano or Marshall. You should try the Carvin MTS3200. To me, it sounds like a cross between a Rectifier, JCM800 and an SLO100. They are so cheap you could keep your Powerball too! I picked up mine in mint condition with the footswitch for $400.00 shipped. Many thrash players use the MTS as the basis for their guitar sound. I can understand why. You can throw a $40.00 preamp pedal or overdrive in front of it and turn it into beast.

Comment

Thats why I got the Savage 120 with 6550's. A hint of dark but definately has the cut with the mids.

Comment

I usually go for the amp I want and worry about eq later. There are practically no eq problems that I cannot solve with my trusty Alesis MEQ-230 rackmount stereo 30-band eq. Try using an eq on your Engl, you can almost definately brighten that amp up. If you're happy with the amp, why spend over a grand when less than two bills will do the trick?

Comment

Yeah I guess I like some of teh darkness the more I think about it I am just fickle and love new gear... I wnat to get a Framus Cobra!!! The SP77 sounds good to me for now though. I would love an Uber

John I'll check out the MTS I always have had a good experience with Carvin stuff

Comment

Working...
                              X