JMP-1 for $150?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: JMP-1 for $150?

Wellll... One possible scenario is to maybe Ebay the JMP-1 to add to your money and buy a 5150 and cab... hehe...

The effects loop I believe is switchable and also has variable mix ls as well (nice loop on the thing I have to admit). So make sure you are turning it on and at a good mx level. Generally, with tha preamp, I would set your effects to full effect in the mix, as in no direct signal and use the mix on the preamp to control the direct sound to the effected sounds levels.

Where are you located? The reason I ask is that will often have a bearing on what you can get your hands on. If you're in the US, you have a better chance of finding stuff.

Are you playing at home somewhat quietly? Or in a band where you need volume?

Do you really want to go rack? or would you think about an amp head setup? Going rack is sorta expensive, but at least you can upgrade stuff etc. at your leisure.

Comment

Yea, I'm in the US, NJ actually.
      I've been in the process of getting another band together for a while, my last one fizzled out, so yea, volume is important. I do play mostly at home (hoping to change that) but I can crank it.
      I was on the fence about head vs. rack, but since this great deal fell in my lap, I figured I might as well roll with it.

Comment

These are cheap tube power amps that sound good. Not saying to buy one, but worth a look for your info etc. And would compliment any preamp for a low cost.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...58750&rd=1

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...90350&rd=1

Of course if you run across a MESA, VHT or Riviera power amp for cheap that would be a better thing, hehe...

Sorta pricey IMO. But nice.
        http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...82127&rd=1

You could find a good Marshall V30 or 75 watt celestion cab locally for a reasonable price I'd bet.

I'm just throwing out ideas.

Comment

I've been thinking the exact same thing. I was looking on ebay for power amps during the last half of the Rams/Falcons game, since it wasn't much to watch. That Mesa's nice, but then I couldn't buy a cab, haha.

Comment

Bang for buck the Peaveys are actually really an unknown bargain in that area of equipment. Well constructed and durable and I've used them a lot over the years. I prefer the Peavey 6L6 120/120 (the next model up from the ones I posted links to) and it was a monster and if I had to put a low budget tube rig together I'd by one pretty quickly I think.

Of course the MESA is really nice too. IMO though, Once you are in that realm, I'd look to a VHT 2-50-2, 2-90-2 or the king of all tube power amps, the VHT 2150. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

The Peavey Classic 60/60 is a great buy also. The only drawback to the classic line is the controls are on the back of the poweramp instead of the front like most poweramps and the Peavey 50/50 is laid out. The mono poweramps of the same are usually even a better deal.

Carvin makes some nice tubed power amps and MosValve has a stereo tubed model that goes at a reasonable price when you find them also.

Comment

Lookin at some of these deals I can get, I think I'm gonna build it up. What would you say is the heaviest it could get? You said Slayerish before, I think I could deal with that, haha. I think any more than that might be a little much for what I would wanna play, but I dunno. It sucks not being able to just find all these obscure little things to demo in real life. Oh yea and thanks for all the advice and help.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                  The only drawback to the classic line is the controls are on the back of the poweramp instead of the front like most poweramps and the Peavey 50/50 is laid out.

[/ QUOTE ]
                  Hmm, wouldn't the power amp setting pretty much be set it and forget it? Sorry if it's dumb, it's probably obvious I'm learning about this stuff as I go along.

Comment

I'd buy it for $150 and turn it on ebay, and take the $ and get a better preamp. but hey, that's me. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

You might get a little better tone out of it by putting a BBE between it and your power amp. Also, some sort of boost in front of the JMP-1 might help a bit too, not a distortion, but something like a boss super overdrive just to push the gain/sustain up a notch.

If all you want out of the JMP-1 are 80s hard rock and metal tones, it'll do that ok. I'd sell it, add a few bucks and get a Soldano SP77 - it'll shred the doors off the Marshall.

Pete

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                      [ QUOTE ]
                      The only drawback to the classic line is the controls are on the back of the poweramp instead of the front like most poweramps and the Peavey 50/50 is laid out.

[/ QUOTE ]
                      Hmm, wouldn't the power amp setting pretty much be set it and forget it? Sorry if it's dumb, it's probably obvious I'm learning about this stuff as I go along.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well it is like having the master volume on a head in the back.

It is a convenience to be able to adjust the power amp volume without having to crawl behind your rack. But you can compensate with differing midi levels or even the input level on the preamp-but you don't have a lot of play there.
                      Plus the Classic power amp is 3 space high- it is a monster to lug about. Peavey builds a solid, no frills, clean all tube power amp. The 50/50 is nice.. it is a poor mans mesa but 8 el84's comes as a bitch when you do a tube change, but it is a flexible amp with more features than the classic. Some people would rather run a bigger bottle tube.. and that is where the Classic is a good fit. I just redrill the pot(s) to face the front, extend the wire..problem solved. Why 'ole Hartley didn't do that in the first place is beyond me. The handles extend on the front.. so having a volume knob exposed there is no big deal.

Borrow an amp and give this a try, but it seems you're looking for a heavier sound. JMP-1 was meant to give nice cleans, midiable crossover tones of JTM,JMP,JCM series amps.
                      Pete's (Twisteramps) suggestion is likely a solid one for what you seek. I'm sure there are sound clips up somewhere on the 'net of these preamps.

Comment

I really like my $150 Peavey Rockmaster.. 4 12ax7 tubes, and with a BBE, sounds evil..........

.... through a fender poweramp/speaker

Comment

Well, I'm selling it. I never really needed it in the first place and I don't really feel like spending the windfall I just got to really bring out the best in it. Besides, If I really want it later, I'll just wait til they discontinue it and the prices drop. Anyone know if it's bad for a jr. member to put an ebay link in the sig? I don't want to try and get around the classified rules. Thanks for all the help, esp. Cleveland Metal.

Comment

Hey, it's not a problem to answer questions, anytime! Good luck with whatever you decide. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                              Well, I'm selling it. I never really needed it in the first place and I don't really feel like spending the windfall I just got to really bring out the best in it. Besides, If I really want it later, I'll just wait til they discontinue it and the prices drop. Anyone know if it's bad for a jr. member to put an ebay link in the sig? I don't want to try and get around the classified rules. Thanks for all the help, esp. Cleveland Metal.

[/ QUOTE ]Posting your own live Ebay auction can get you banned, junior member or regular member. It's completely forbidden. You can post in in the Classifieds only after you have at least 100 posts, and you may need to email an admin at that point to make sure you get that access. You will likely move the preamp on Ebay before that though, and anyone interested now knows to search there.
                              Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

this guy i know has a 120/120 with one of the channels not working hes gonna let me look at. he got it for free so i think i can get a deal, but i dont know what it will take to be fully functional.

Comment

Working...
                                X