Level control on power amp or preamp?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Level control on power amp or preamp?

When running through a preamp/power amp setup, do you usually crank the volume level on the power amp and then adjust the preamp level accordingly, or keep the output level of the power amp down lower and adjust overall volume level through the preamp? Is there a preferred way or is either way fine?
    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Re: Level control on power amp or preamp?

Try em both ways, see what you prefer. If you crank the power amp level, then the output level on the preamp is going to be twitchy as hell - small increments could be VERY loud. If you crank the preamp level, then it may affect your clean tones going into the power amp. Might want to try the power amp around 9-10 o'clock first, and then go slowly with the preamp master. Again, just depends on the gear and the situation.

Pete

Comment

Cool beans. Thanks, Pete. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
      I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

sorry for bringing up the old thread, but i'd like to ask a similar question.

i'm playing through an amp which has both channel and master volume(s). now, i wonder which one has to be high in order to get the power tubes saturating? do i have to keep the channel volume high and the master low to feed as much signal as possible to the powerstage, or should i keep the master wide open and the channel volume lower?

greets
        fragle

Comment

The only way to get the power tubes saturating is sheer volume, and a little saturation goes a long way. Depending on your amp, you could have it dimed and have very little saturation (like on a VHT) even then. Most modern high gain amps have little saturation/power amp distortion even when cranked to keep the tone tight. Most older amps will get 'sloppier' as you crank em. Generally speaking, the sloppier the amp, the further away it gets from metal tones.

Pete

Comment

Working...
          X