I think its time for a CAB

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I think its time for a CAB

Well, I have a JCM 800 combo, and its open back, and I really feel that it could do much better with a closed back cab (thats what it was designed for, right?)

Ive got some ideas floating around my head.

First Idea: www.avatarspeakers.com has a good deal on a Dual Vintage 30 loaded 2x12. Its small, practical, and the easiest on the budget at $310ish with shipping and such, maybe more with tax.

2nd Idea: My local Guitar Center has a Crate Blue Voodoo cab (one of the older blue ones, not one of the newer black ones) which is loaded with 4 Vintage 30's. They want $380 for it. (thats the post-hagglement price) and it has castors.

3rd Idea: The same GC also has an old Marshall 4x12, a JCM 800 series which would go with my amp the best, but I dont really care if the cab is blue or black or has sequins glued to it. The tolex is beat up, some old band named has been spraypaint/stenciled on the back of it, no castors, and they want a firm $499 for it. Its got the stock Celestion G12T-75 speakers.

So what I want to know is:

A. Which one would you pick?

B. Is a 4x12 alot better than a 2x12? is it REALLY worth hauling around the extra bulk and weight of the 4x12?

C. How do the Vintage 30's compare to the G12T-75's?

Thanks.

Re: I think its time for a CAB

A. I'd take my amp to the GC, see which 4x12 sounds better.

B. I think so. You'll get more low end mojo with a 4x12, UNLESS we're talking about a G-Flex 2x12. The Avatar cabs I've heard were good for the money, but I wouldn't choose one over a used Marshall cab.

C. Listen for yourself. I prefer G75s, some people prefer V30s. See what YOU think sounds best.

Pete

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
      A. I'd take my amp to the GC, see which 4x12 sounds better.

B. I think so. You'll get more low end mojo with a 4x12, UNLESS we're talking about a G-Flex 2x12. The Avatar cabs I've heard were good for the money, but I wouldn't choose one over a used Marshall cab.

C. Listen for yourself. I prefer G75s, some people prefer V30s. See what YOU think sounds best.

Pete

[/ QUOTE ]

What he said! I would probably go for the G-Flex or the used Marshall 4x12. And I am definately partial to V30's.

Good luck.

Comment

It wouldn't match the Marshall, but Keith (Axtogrind) has a 5150 straight cab with Sheffield 1200 speakers and casters for $350 shipped in CONUS. If your budget's tight that's a real nice cab, though better with a 5150 head than a JCM800 probably. It'd beat the BV cab at $30 less. You can't play it first but they're a known quantity and Keith is a real straightup guy.
        Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

hmm. Well, I guess nobody likes the Crate [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

I think Ill shoot Keith a PM. He has a thread in the classifieds, right? alright.

Or I will consider looking for another Marshall cab. I guess it would be worthwhile to spend the extra coin on the Marshall, and use it forever.

Thanks.

Comment

I dont know if its in your price range but I have been loving my Marshall heads with a Mesa recto cab. They have the vintage 30s in it and you get massive bottom end. Im sure you can get them used in the $500 to $600 price range. I know its not one of your choices listed but you should really give it a try. I also like a 4+12 cab better, more bottom end and alot thicker sounding.

Comment

Well, having a massive Low end isnt really what im looking for. I play 70's/80's rock, and Iron Maiden is really as "angry" as I get [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

used JCM800 4x12cab. Those are good cabs and I also like the g12t75's in
                shawnlutz.com

Comment

I think I may get the marshall. Maybe tomorrow. I gotta think about it, thats alot of money.

Is $499 reasonable for a used JCM 800 cab? WELL used...

Comment

If the cab was mint, yes $499 is "somewhat" acceptable, yet still sorta pricey as I've paid 400 for mint ones.

If it isn't mint, then that is somewhat expensive.

Clean MESA cabs go all the time here for 500 bucks.

Comment

Go for the Marshall. You CANNOT go wrong.
                      But yeah, shop around and you'll get a cab in much better condition for the same price.

Comment

Working...
                      X