Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Secret 6505/5150 Combo Tip from Peavey

<font color="red"> Secret 6505/5150 Combo Tip from Peavey;
    Want to reduce the wattage of your 6505 or 5150 combo? Simply unplug the speaker and plug it into the extension cabinet jack. This will cut the the wattage in half as the extension cabinet output only runs at 30 watts.
    </font>

do you guys think this is true? i got it from another forum where the guy says it comes straight from Peavey...but it sounds a bit strange to me, and i dont want to **** up my 5150combo...

Re: Secret 6505/5150 Combo Tip from Peavey

I would email Peavey customer service directly and ask them this question; until someone from Peavey tells you so directly, I would not believe it.
    Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

thanks thats a good idea indeed

Comment

You're welcome; BTW tomorrow is a national holiday here so they might not answer you right away. I've had great luck with them though, they once rewired TWO footswitches for me for FREE, on a USED Triumph P.A.G. 60 I have (it's the grandpa of the XXX). ne was the original wchich needed a new 7-pin connector, the other was a switch for one of their 3-channel solidstates I bought off Ebay, that looked the same (3 buttons, same 7-pin) but which didn't work when I got it. I expected to pay $20 or more plus shipping, but only had to pay shipping to them, plus I had them back within one week of shipping them. That to me was very cool of them. Of course, I live in Mississippi, only 175 miles from the factory, so maybe I got the homestate courtesy deal. I did suck up about how great their stuff was in the email sent before they told me to send the switches in, so that probably helped too.

Nayway, sorry for all that blather, I'm just patriotic towards the home state company!
        Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

Dude you are so right. Peavey customer service is awesome. I had an old Peavey Butcher head, and I sent them an email asking for some info, and possible a copy of the schematic. They sent me an original catalog, with a price list, and the original owners manual AND the schematic. None of them were photocopies, they were on heavy weight buff paper, and in plastic bags. I was astonished.
          Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

You may want to ask your question on the Peavey forums. It's likely you will get a fast answer there.
            "Yes,..that's when they used to shove a red hot spike in your peehole until you screamed "yes, yes, godammit ..you fuggin' dicks..I'm a witch..I am witch..you cocksuckers"" horns666

Comment

i checked it...
              not a good idea;
              [ QUOTE ]

You would be connecting a 16 ohm load to an 8 ohm tap on the output transformer.
              Any time you do that you will cut your power in half, so that would reduce the power to ~30 watts
              An impedance mismatch can lead to an overheated transformer. Or worse

[/ QUOTE ]

Comment

You should go back to that forum where the guy told you to do that, say you blew up your transformer following his "straight from peavey" idea, and see if he volunteers to fix your amp. I don't know how they'd react there if you did that to make a point and then said you were kidding, but it might teach the guy to give advice without knowing what he's saying...

Anyway, very glad you decided to check first!
                Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                  i checked it...
                  not a good idea;
                  [ QUOTE ]

You would be connecting a 16 ohm load to an 8 ohm tap on the output transformer.
                  Any time you do that you will cut your power in half, so that would reduce the power to ~30 watts
                  An impedance mismatch can lead to an overheated transformer. Or worse

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I read two threads on this (including this one) earlier tonight at the Peavey amp forum, and was about to direct you to this post. But no need, I see you found it. I expect that when he catches up, Roger (Crimm, with Peavey) will post more info on the matter since it came up, he commented a little, and now it has come up again. So I figure we'll see a post from him there being more explicit on the possible consequences.

Sorry, now I'm just blabbing on to myself... [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]

Keith
                  The JCF-er Formerly Known as axtogrind.

myspace.com/boogieblockmusic

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                    You should go back to that forum where the guy told you to do that, say you blew up your transformer following his "straight from peavey" idea, and see if he volunteers to fix your amp. I don't know how they'd react there if you did that to make a point and then said you were kidding, but it might teach the guy to give advice without knowing what he's saying...

Anyway, very glad you decided to check first!

[/ QUOTE ]

yes im very glad too [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

well the guy i had it from is an ass...he still is telling that the 5150 can take a "small" difference like that, lol...
                    no way i'm going to do it

Comment

sizzzzzzzzle.....POP....BOOM!
                      "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

It's funny how people are willing to tell you to try this stuff with YOUR gear, but 'll bet he wouldn't do it with his own.

You might email Peavy CS and ask them if you can remove one of thepower tubes and safely lower the wattage. I have heard, but don't know if it's fact, that on some 100-watt heads you can remove the outside pair of tubes and run the inside pair as a 50-watt. I think this is how the 1/2-power switches on some amps work. Whether it would work on an amp with only 2 power tubes, I don't know. Also, would you have room to install HD Yellowjackets? They are converters to use smaller power tubes with lower output. They are only about $100 I think, and might give you what you're looking for, lower power output breakup. 30 watts will still be a lot in a apartment context. A power attenuator may be the way to go, like the THD Hotplate; make sure you get the 8-ohm version if it's an 8-ohm outlet.

Hope some of these ideas help! Good Luck!!
                        Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

yeah ive thought about these options..but atm i'm having some money probs so i'll keep my 5150 as it is for now...
                          i'll check out those yellowjackets [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
                          tnx!

Comment

Working...
                          X